What Outdrives Will Bolt Up To My 260 Omc

Discussion in 'Sterndrives' started by warrior7946, Mar 3, 2014.

1. warrior7946

warrior7946 Junior Member

I Am Trying To Learn What Outdrives Will Interchange With My 1980 Omc 260 With 800 Series Outdrives. When I Shop Ebay For Omc I Am Confused With The Cobra Outdrives They Seem To Make You Think They Are The Same. Then They Throw Volvo At You And Make Me Think That Volvo May Interchange. If Anyone Could Straighen Me Out On What Is Usable And Will Bolt Up To Where My Omc Stringers Are. Thanks Cliff

2. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

This thread seems like Capital fun ! Sorry, I don't have the answers for this.

3. warrior7946

Thanks Anyway

4. whitepointer23

whitepointer23 Previous Member

nothing I know of will interchange with a stringer that I know of. bin the lot , glass the hole up and start again with a complete Volvo or mercruiser. or maybe a pod and outboard. Volvo bought omc' s sterndrive division and the cobra became the Volvo sx, that is why you hear talk about Volvo, nothing to do with stringers , which by the way are one of the biggest orphans ever designed imo. closely followed by the omc stern drive that used an outboard powerhead as an inboard. moonshine must have been plentiful
    when omc came up with those gems.

5. powerabout

powerabout Senior Member

Merc had patents on all the stuff so they couldnt use any of that design
    as soon as that expired they made the cobra with the same transom cut out
    cant say I know why they did the laydown though...

6. whitepointer23

yes, i read that Volvo purchased the cobra so it could have a model which fitted the merc cutout.

7. powerabout

powerabout Senior Member

I think it was a joint venture and itwasa goodmix to get the cone clutch and a duo prop in a proper designed drive.
    Good enough that yamaha stole some data and earned a ban on selling in most markets for years...
    Can you buy a yamaha sterndrive in oz yet?

8. whitepointer23

Yamaha sterndrives have been on the market here before but I have not seen them advertised for a long time.

9. warrior7946

Thanks For The Info. My Outdrives Are Operating Forward & Reverse But Both Tilt Motors Wont Operate. I Am Going To Clean All Contacts & Check The Solonids Before Pulling The Motors. Thanks For Replying Cliff

10. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Yamaha sterndrives have a clutch dog like Mercruisers. Nothing will directly bolt to a 800 series OMC. You could reuse the engine if it is in good shape and get all the rest of the stuff. Sometimes you can get older boats with a bad or no engine and salvage the rest.

11. boatbuilder41

boatbuilder41 Senior Member

If you want to go with the cobra unit, go with the king cobra, it uses the Jorge Warner velvet drive gear and does not shift in the out drive at all. Nice setup. I used one commercially for 5 years

12. whitepointer23

this post is a bit confusing. why would volvo need omc to get cone clutchs and duoprops which were volvo patents.

13. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

It was a joint venture where OMC built drives to VolvoPenta patented designs in the USA.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.