what material is the best to make fuel tank ?

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by hyboats, Dec 11, 2012.

1. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

Food for thought !!

Building tanks as i see its is more to do with the amount of volumn you can get . Theres almost no way to get the same amount of fuel that you can get with built in tanks .

I been thinking about bulkhead tanks any one tried them or heard of them ??and why couldnt they work ???.
    In the case of the boats we been working we need to get weight forward and been working on it for a while its possible to get 3/4 of the fuel weight forward of the motors and shift the two motors almost 1200mm forward , with sterndrives and fitting jack shafts between and glass exhaust pipes and rubber joints triple hose clips !
    The height of bulk heads is the biggest cause for concern to be considered !!with height comes pressure and then have to have external bracing specialy with flat panels . but cant see any reason why not ??One good things would be less baffling as its side to side movement not back and forth!
    Have built industrial acid tanks ,long skinny and tall without any problems ! they didnt move and were static but if use the right glass and thick core etc nothing is impossible . :D

2. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

Well, apparently he's not a marketer or a laminator or a boat carpenter. Tell us what a Boatbuilder does.

Here's a list...
    A boatbuilder does...

3. OFFSHORE GINGER

OFFSHORE GINGER Junior Member

Steve , the materials i use today for Epoxy gas tank repairs have been very effective which by the way are based on some of the same materials used for underground tanks that take a host of materials to do the job .

4. OFFSHORE GINGER

Tunnels in regards to post # 31 all the tanks we built at Skater were bulkhead tanks that even tied into the tunnel , and at one time a few years back another local Boat Co was starting to build Bulkhead tanks also using them in ther bigger Cruiser's .

5. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

yip i had guessed in must have been done just never heard of or ever seem any where . What sort of height do they go up to and what kind of capacity ?? height means strong panels and bracing . like i said ihave done acid tanks so fuel wond be much differant but they inside a boat thats moving !!
    Thanks for the info let be real people and no bickering ! :D

6. OFFSHORE GINGER

Tunnels , just a short and quick answer to your last quote ..............lol , my wife is waiting at the door with the car running or should i say warming up because winters in Mich tend to be somewhat cold , and to make a long story short ..............its , all good and lets try to put everything in the past for the New Year , on this site , and all others ..... ah-side.......take care my friend , Merry Christmas , and Happy New Year ................ Artie

Last edited: Dec 21, 2012
  7. OFFSHORE GINGER

Tunnels , in regards to post # 35 , i will reply ASAP to the questions asked .

8. hyboats

hyboats Junior Member

gasoline.
    Almost all my customers like stainless steel fuel tank.