What makes a "Blue Water Boat"?

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by alex folen, Feb 5, 2009.

1. apex1

apex1 Guest

Thank you. And I agree.
    I edited my post, have a look.
    My boat will be either alu or wood Epoxy, the decision is pending.
    The dimensions are not too far from yours: 88´by 17,6´ single engine.

Regards
    Richard

2. Brent Swain

Brent Swain Member

Blue water boats

All waters are tidal to some extent. I'm sure glad I went for twin keels , 25 years ago. I have crossed the Pacific many times in my twin keeler and wouldn't want anything with fewer keels.
    A friend did a circumnavigation in one of my twin keelers and said the same . His next boat also has twin keels.
    Decades ago, most of my boats were being built with single keels . Now most are being built with twin keels, and those who went for single keels almost all wish they had twin keels.
    The greatest critics of twin keelers are usually people who have never cruised anywhere in one.
    Brent

3. mydauphin

mydauphin Senior Member

I am not sure how to post pics. If someone could tell me. I would post mine

Apex, on your design, looks like good boat for long distances. I would call it a trawler. Runs at hull speed, good size keel. What are does massive water intake in middle of hull, jet drives, portholes? Sails can be used at anchor to add stabilty.

4. apex1

apex1 Guest

Go to your post, click edit, go down, click go advanced, go down click manage attachments, upload

Its a Troller, not a Trawler! Range is somewhere around 6500 to 8000 nm. As mentioned, this was the very first, and very broad sketch. I fiddled with the idea to install two different sized gensets and "Schottel Pumpjets" as propulsion. I would have always sufficient load on the engines, the jets would reduce friction at half of the hull to almost zero (laminar flow), they could act as some stabilization too, no drag of the prop below full throttle!!!, no drag of operating rudder (rudder is blocked if not sailing), maneuvrable like soap in a bathtub, no extra genny etc. etc.......
    But a CPP is much less expensive, and all the stuff turned out a bit complex. I still develop the idea further and maybe build it once, but for my personal boat I have choosen a CPP arrangement.
    I´ll attach a pdf to show you the interior layout at present stage.
    My provider here in Turkey is so terrible slow on uploading it may take one hr. to get the 155kb up here, so come back please.

Regard
    Richard

Attached Files:

5. apex1

apex1 Guest

HaHa... have seen where I´m from? mud flats, tideland all the northsea coast.
    My boats are single keel.

Regards
    Richard

6. mydauphin

mydauphin Senior Member

I would stick with props not jets for anything below 25knots. A properly sized single prop to a single diesel is hard to beat. My boat has one speed, and a forward and reverse. Yes I can adjust speed but not by much. 8-12 knots. I don't need Adjustable props... Rudders are not much drag at this speed either. Remember you need a rudder even if you lose power with emergency sail.

Have a smaller diesel that can run a hydraulic drive on main shaft, bow and stern thruster and windlass. Mentioning thruster because a 80 foot boat without thruster can be a handful to dock unless you have crew of 2 or 3. The thruster will help in this.

Your hull reminds me of a battleship hull. The BS is a little longer in the middle. The section in middle can be longer without inducing much drag. Of course water surface is bigger. How much horsepower and prop size your thinking .

7. apex1

apex1 Guest

Dont mix "Schottel Pump jets" and ordinary jets, tey have nothing in common.
    A properly designed Prop does´nt exist! It is designed to be optimal at one speed only! A CPP is always far better (in a displacement hull), because you can load your engine sufficient at low revvs.
    You would be surprised how much drag a rudder makes (in service) if one would tell you with some real figures. And naturally the boat has a rudder (for sailing), look at the picture. Do´nt need a thruster, I managed 35 meter boat, steam engine, single prop, no engine control or gearbox, in heavy weather, with one deckhand. Articulated rudder is worth the effort, thrusters are not. It´s a passagemaker, not a weekender, docking is´nt the issue. About 15 to 12 years ago I was living on my boat, did´nt have a foot on the hard for 14 month.
    The drawing does´nt show a real hull, so looks a bit ja, like battleship.
    The prop size will be somewhere around 1,30 M, the engine 500hp. Too much, ja, I know. She would have 900 if she was´nt derated drastically. But I like it that way, and I know exactly what I am talking about.
    In calm weather I´ll need say 150hp to achieve hullspeed (just a example), going uphill in a heavy seastate can easily need 350 to 400 if you like to make headway. Running away from serious weather some extra horses are always welcome for say 24 hrs at 1,4 lwl. Problem is, I underload my engine every day I enjoy a good weather trip, or I dont have the power to do what I want. The CPP is the solution.
    Now how is your boat looking?
    Regards
    Richard

8. mydauphin

mydauphin Senior Member

Familar with Schottel Pump, still think propeller, rudder, shaft more efficent at getting power to move boat. Properly sized single prop will work well with proper setup and can't be beat for price. CPP is good, but costs are prohibitive for me. Docking is not a issue until you have to do it and since I really dont want to take too many people along bow thrusters are great. I am trying to see if articulated rudder works into my system. I am keeping rudders small for effiency may add stern thruster to compensate. Twin engines help alot.
    I understand reserve Hp for getting out of trouble the problem you know is loss fuel economy or underloading engine. I have 2 250 hp engines, will be working one day on propane injection for emergency power of 400 hp each.

I saw a setup that was perfect sometime ago. One transmission, one shaft, two engines with a clutch. You could pick a 200hp, a 300 hp or both.
    Very old mechnical clutch system but what a concept.

On my boat, I need to get more updated pics, will send in a couple of days.

9. apex1

apex1 Guest

Hello dear fellow member, I hope you do´nt mind that I reply as I did above. It´s just easier for me.
    Did you have a look at the accommodation plan (the pdf attachment in one of my earlier posts) ?
    Kindest regards
    Richard

10. Tcubed

Tcubed Boat Designer

CPP: controllable pitch propeller, captive power plant,.. Sorry if i missed a previous definition, could you clarify please?

11. apex1

apex1 Guest

the first bet................ Triple T

Regards
    Richard

12. Tcubed

Tcubed Boat Designer

Ok now i'm a bit behind.

Looking at your image it looks like a ducted jet...

13. apex1

apex1 Guest

14. Loveofsea

Loveofsea New Member

Blue water is as blue water does!

In '91 i designed and built a 19ft wooden, flatbottom dory-style skiff powered by a 3 cyl outboard tiller. Since then i have logged over 65,000nm of open sea travel and have spent over 600 nights anchored at the most desolate places off the Southern California coast, solo...I've made one trip less than 60nm offshore in the last decade. This is a true blue water skiff.

For me building a boat was a means to an end~

But when i was building it, the anticipation of what was ahead turned my backyard into a tropical paradise :cool:

Brad

(loves the sea)

15. Landlubber

Landlubber Senior Member

Brad, 65000 miles in a droy would have to be a world record, have you ever been ashore, that is 70 miles a day every day from the day of build, your fuel bill could solve the world economic crisis!

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.