Planing Kayak Boat Idea

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by ShipOfFools, Jun 17, 2019.

1. ShipOfFools

ShipOfFools New Member

hey guys ive got an idea for a boat or modifying an existing kayak design... let me know if this is feasible.

I want to attach an outboard motor to a Kayak to achieve a max speed of 20 to 30 mph on flat water. Is that feasible? I think pontoons or stabilizers might make it more stable.

How big of an outboard would I need? I currently own a 2.5 HP Suzuki that I use on an inflatable. I would prefer to switch to a plastic sit on top kayak because i think it may plane faster.

The only requirements i have are that the weight of the engine, kayak, and mount be below 200 lbs and preferable below 150 lbs ideally about 100 to 125 lbs and below 14 feet, preferably 11 to 12 feet. The kayak must seat two people but of course not while planing at 30 mph. The weight of the motor im assuming would be between 30 and 50 lbs.

My budget is somewhat limited so between $500 and $3000 for kayak, engine, and mods, i can also DIY some of these items.

Is this possible? How

2. BlueBell

BlueBell . . . _ _ _ . . . _ _ _

Anything is possible.
    Go for it.
    Wear a PFD.
    Good luck and have fun!

3. portacruise

portacruise Senior Member

Study the Thailand long-tail racing boats for ideas. 2.5 horsepower will not be enough.

4. messabout

messabout Senior Member

If your "kayak" is appropriately designed it could plane with the 2.5 HP engine. The term Kayak is subject to interpretation when anticipating a planing type hull. The total weight of the boat, motor, gear, and passenger is the determining factor. The ideal "planing" kayak would not have a pointed after end. It would also not be as narrow as good paddling kayaks tends to be. The boat itself needs weigh no more than 65 pounds if 14 feet long. The engine might weigh in at about 38 pounds more or less, if it is a four stroke, and less than that if a two stroke. The weight of the skipper is the determinant. If you are a 200+ pound person then forget the planing idea. If you are a lightweight then you might pull it off.

Short of the hand of God, you will never see 30 MPH with that small motor. You might see 14 MPH with the 2.5 engine but that is only on a good day with a light total displacement, smooth water, and the right prop for the engine.

5. ShipOfFools

ShipOfFools New Member

Thanks i weigh 160 lbs and am 5 foot 9 and a male

6. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

You could probably do it with just a small weedeater petrol engine.

7. BlueBell

BlueBell . . . _ _ _ . . . _ _ _

Male! Oh well, that's it, you don't have a chance!
    Look at all the posts saying you can't do this, you can't do that.
    What can you do?

And what age are you?

8. Squidly-Diddly

Squidly-Diddly Senior Member

9. portacruise

portacruise Senior Member

Wonder if that particular foiler design in the film clip can get up to 30 miles per hour.... Would the foils quickly collect a lot of soft debris going at that speed in kayaking type waters, and would it be possible to survive hits with hard debris at that speed.....

10. Manfred.pech

Manfred.pech Senior Member

If you like it hot:

Last edited: Jun 21, 2019

11. Village_Idiot

Village_Idiot Senior Member

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.