"Self build status" advice between 2 EU countries

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by gp333, Jul 29, 2013.

1. gp333

gp333 Junior Member

I have some questions about tricky "Self build status" advice between 2 EU countries. We are do all this as transport cost is too big as this is 60 feet hull.

1. We are small Croatian nonprofit organization (Croatia is full EU member now)
    2. I am find in France great boat hull (Marina will sell to us)
    3. We are plan "collect" all main parts in Croatia and some parts buy in France directly and "Self build" sailboat in France till end

Hm is it legally possible at all between 2 EU countries??

As Croatian citizen go in France marina work on boat hull he buys :D

Any advices here??

2. ThomD

ThomD Senior Member

I have no idea, but I am currently going through a crush our dreams with your bureaucracy episode of my own, and there normally turns out to be something that says you can't get there from here. 60 feet is also a huge build, 20 years kind of deal, I hope this isn't your first rodeo.

3. El_Guero

El_Guero Previous Member

First,

You gotta talk to a lawyer ....

You can work in France, but you cannot conduct business in France.

Is this considered work? As much red-tape as there is in Europe, I think it would be considered work.

Second, is the hull far enough along that it is worth it? If the hull is not far along in the build process, and you are paying for it, there is probably not much affordability in this deal.

And of course, the great question, do you speak French well enough to get along with the French while you are there working? You will have to work with people in the 'trades' to get what you need. Can you function without speaking the native language?

Wayne

4. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Naval Architect

So long at you both in the EU and that you have all the paperwork, i.e. the EC certs and can demonstrate which regulations the boat is designed for and certified, yes.

5. CDK

CDK retired engineer

You may find yourself walking the tightrope in France. All it takes to turn your plans into a nightmare is someone calling the authorities saying there are illegal workers in the marina.

Croatia is part of the EU now, but is not yet a full fledged member. I live in this country as a foreigner with permanent residency, but it will take at least another 7 years before we have the same rights as Croats. The same goes for Croats who want to work in other EU member states.
    If you have proof of ownership and have your passport stamped when entering France, you have the right to stay there for 3 months and can spend that time working on your ship. But if you bring a crew in to assist you doing that the authorities may suspect illegal employment and tax evasion and you will have a hard time convincing them they are wrong.

6. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

Yah..its a minefield. Ask the locals for advice. Bareboat charter companies in particular.