Fiber glass boat technical help

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by Mufeed, Jul 6, 2010.

1. Mufeed

Mufeed New Member

I am trying to build a fiber glass boat of 120 feet length and beam 34 feet.
    Draft 9 feet. This boat will be used for diving cruises in maldives.
    The rquired speed is 12 - 14 knots per hour and would like to know the thickness of the boat should be. Also would like to know the best material / grades used for the such construction. The temperature varies 30 - 34 degrees,

i would appreciate any help on this matter.

2. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

Hi Mufeed,

The boat you describe appears to be somewhere in the range of 300 to 400 tons. At this size, you are well beyond the basic level of engineering that can be dealt with via the forum. You need a qualified naval architect to help with the design of this boat.

3. Ike

Ike Senior Member

Agreed. Even though I have worked around boatbuilding all my life, was an engineer working for the USCG, and taken courses in yacht design, I would not tackle that large a vessel without a naval architect as at the very least a consultant. But you need one to do the design. 120 feet is no longer a boat, it is a ship and is very complex.

4. Mufeed

Mufeed New Member

Thank you marshmat & Ike. I shall try finding consultants from this region. If you have any contacts who can provide such consultancies especially in fiberglass boat building please let me know.

Thank you once again

5. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Besides a naval architect, you need a building crew that can handle a build that size. Laminates of the thickness you are looking at are going to produce enough heat to set it on fire, or at least make it brittle and useless.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.