What kind of boat is this?

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by BlacK_Blade, Jun 23, 2010.

1. BlacK_Blade

BlacK_Blade Junior Member

I seen this picture of a small boat and was thinking something like this would be perfect for me. I do alot of solo fishing and this kind of boat would be good to be able to move around a bit for it looks to be stable design.

Was considering building jon boat of similar size to this (9 or 10 foot), but just curious how much one like this would cost (once I know what kind of boat it is and can then research their cost :))

Attached Files:

2. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

I like it too. shows imagination and looks very stable and light. Need 2 seats though as fishing is more fun with 2.

3. BlacK_Blade

I agree with more enjoyable with two, but most times nobody in family wants to go. I have a 14' Sportspal canoe, but I like the idea of some small, stable boat that is even light enough to pull behind a bike. I could just put my gear in the boat and use the bike for a few spots I know that are close by. The 14' canoe is tad too long to be hauling behind the bike.

4. WickedGood

WickedGood Guest

Not Too Hard to Handle

I just happen to have one onf those. But mine is Blue. They are 9'8" long and cost aroud $500-$600 depending on where you get them. A used one will still run you about $400 to $500. Strangly enough they seem to hold there value pretty well.

They are ABS plastic with foam core and make great dinguies. Fit right into the back of your pickup truck and row like ****, but then again they are not a row boat. For that get a Peapod. If you put a little electric trolling motor or a 2 -4 hp outboard you will like it.

5. BlacK_Blade

What brand names do they go by? I have tried various searches with small fishing boat etc and haven't had any luck. Wonder how hard it would be to build something similar...:?:

6. tinhorn

tinhorn Senior Member

I blew the picture up but still couldn't make out the manufacturer's name. It's cuter than heck, but you really oughta see the trailer hitch up close! I don't think that boat is ten feet long--closer to six, I bet.

Every now and then you can find tiny used dinghies for short money. If you were in Seattle, the first boat below is available on craigslist right now. Overpriced, though, at $150. The second pic is one a guy bought from a craigslist ad. He shows the restoration (and some links to plans for do-it-yourselfers) at http://knbpromotions.com/sailing/dinghy.php . The third pic is a 6'5" dinghy I bought for $90 in Rhode Island. Well, not so much a dingy as a stretch coracle.

Attached Files:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.