What kind of boat is this?

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by SolomonGrundy, Apr 15, 2008.

1. SolomonGrundy

SolomonGrundy I'm not crazy...

...if it wasn't a scale 1/2 model?

Attached Files:

• 2349.jpg
      2349.jpg
      File size:
      50.8 KB
      Views:
  2. dragonjbynight

dragonjbynight Senior Member

3. SolomonGrundy

Thanks...

Dang, that's close but the ends aren't as fine as on Courageous. I'm still stumped...anyone else have a clue?

Attached Files:

4. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

That hull shape isn't even remotely close to a J, or the 12 meter Courageous (which has no relation to the J's at all, except that they both were AC boats). The J's were huge, with typically 30% or more (some much more) of their length in the overhangs. The 12 meters were fat bellied pigs (at least those toward the end of the class run) and bitches to sail as a result.

The hull shape suggests a cruiser. She looks reasonably burdened, possibly late CCA era, though likely not conforming to any rule. Her appendages suggest late 1960's, maybe early 70's (stem profile says it's probably 70's) and her high freeboard offers a voluminous interior, possible with an aft cabin.

As to what designer, it has some elements of a few that I'm familiar with, but I wouldn't want to be pinned down to anyone specific. I can't see the detail at the forward end of the cove stripe very will, but this may be a clue to the boat, particularly if a production model or built by a respected builder.

5. wet feet

wet feet Senior Member

Unless you have reason to believe otherwise,it is possible that the half model was created as a marketing tool for the design.If nobody showed interest that may have been as far as it got.I would guess at mid 70's to mid 80's with a hint of Dick Carter's style.

6. SolomonGrundy

The model was found in the attic of a building in a boatyard in Port Townsend, WA. It may or may not have been a "one off". It sure doesn't look like anything I've seen around the yards but I was hoping someone somewhere would have more information.

Attached Files:

• 2349.jpg
      2349.jpg
      File size:
      50.8 KB
      Views:
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.