What kind of boat did I buy?

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by christoph le, Jul 19, 2021.

1. christoph le

christoph le New Member

This title isn't meant to be funny...but it is. I literally got this bought last weekend and am trying to figure out what it is. Any help would be greatly appreciated...if you're just going to tell me how dumb I am for buying something I know nothing about, please save the oxygen and energy it takes to write those comments. I'm only looking for true help.

So, by the pictures it says it is a Glass Magic. The registration says it is a 1966. I can't find info on any that match that year and make with the style of windshield it has.

Attached Files:

2. Will Gilmore

Will Gilmore Senior Member

How about a V-160 Starcraft?
    Just a guess, so don't rely upon it. Trying to give you a place to start.
    upload_2021-7-19_11-35-54.png

3. christoph le

christoph le New Member

The body lines do look very similar. The V-160 side windows look more stretched than mine. Mine is an outboard motor though, and it does say "Glass Magic by Pleasure Inc." on the side. I will try and post some more pictures this afternoon. I appreciate you taking the time to look this up. By the way please do not google "Glass Magic by Pleasure Inc", it has nothing to do with boat stuff.

4. Will Gilmore

5. christoph le

christoph le New Member

Here is a good side profile picture, a closeup of the right rear quarter, the engine cover, the console and steering wheel, and the front light thing and horns. I've been trying to find these parts for sale online and then working my way backwards by what they fit...no luck so far. Also, I have not been able to find an HIN, which leads me to believe that it is, in fact, pre-72. Any thoughts or guidance would help.

Attached Files:

6. Will Gilmore

You might be able to date it with the model number of the Mercury motor. There's lots of information available about outboards. It may have no relationship at all with the boat, but maybe they were originally bought new together as a package. It's another avenue to run down.

7. christoph le

christoph le New Member

That sounds easy enough, do you happen to know where to find this magical number and do I just search it google style by the engine number?

8. Ike

Ike Senior Member

If it was manufactured prior to 1972 it doesn't have an HIN. They weren't required before 72. The only Glass Magic in the Coast Guard database went into business in 1984 and out of business in 1991. They made pontoon boats so it's not the same company

BTW there is a red label on the inside of the transom just to the right of the engine mount. It appears to be a manufacturers plate, and part of it is covered by the metal that the engine is mounted on.

9. Will Gilmore

"QUESTION:
    How can I determine when my outboard was built?

ANSWER:
    Every Mercury outboard has a serial number label located on the transom bracket area of the engine. The latest serial number labels display a 2-digit number in a box at the lower right portion of the label. These digits coincide with the last two digits of the year in which the outboard was manufactured. For example, if an outboard was manufactured in 2010, the number "10" would appear in the box at the lower right portion of the label."
    Taken from: | Mercury Marine https://www.mercurymarine.com/en/us/faq/?category%5B%5D=parts-and-accessories&category%5B%5D=outboard-model-year

I've looked up older model outboard before and putting the ssn into Google may yield good results, but most manufactures maintain a pretty decent online archive.

If the numbers you're looking for aren't on the transom assembly, I've found numbers stamped into the engine block and inside the engine cowel.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.