CNC foam cutting and software

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by zerogara, Jan 23, 2006.

1. zerogara

zerogara build it and sail it

While searching the market for a foam cutting machine for templates and foils I found this really interesting hobbyist source of software and plans to built your own cutting machine, if you have the patience to contribute the time that is.

http://gm.cnc.free.fr/en/index.html

Even though it is directed and developed by hobby model plane enthusiasts I think it will be a good source for many people here.

2. astatue

astatue New Member

For The Professional

Listen, I started cutting foam figuring I would get the hobby machine and learn and what the heck if the system works why not sell the parts for actual commercial use. Here is what I learned.

Most, not all, but most hobby systems are hobby systems because they don't work well. Why is it, people are willing to buy a really nice commercial grade circular saw or drill, but when it comes to the tool that makes the difference in the actual product they are producing they are willing to accept a poor, or low quality machine.

I found myself spending more time fixing or compensating for something that the machine was lacking. It was completely frustrating. Since I created my own machine that works and works well and have begun to sell it and have near 300 satisfied customers to prove it.

The little hairs on the back of my neck go up when ever I hear, Oh you can build it for almost next to nothing.

Do the real engineering and see what it is you really need to set the system up. You might find it cost you more than you think or at least you will spend some serious time putting the system together that you really need.

Oh my goodness, plywood and pvc pipe for guiding systems. This is a recipe for disaster. Quarter inch all thread and a welded nut for a lead screw? this certainly won't end well.

Sure you can with some time and energy build a system that might produce. But if your time has any value you might find that purchasing the right system will make you much happier and productive in the long run

astatue.com

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.