Masking for Sandblasting

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by rugludallur, Jul 26, 2010.

1. rugludallur

rugludallur Rugludallur

I wonder if those of you with experience in sand/slurry/soda blasting can share any tips on masking/covering/protecting areas.

From what I understand rubbery materials are best in order to "bounce" grit/shot off, for smaller grit and stencil work I noticed a lot of people use vinyl tape ranging from 0.2-0.4mm but what about larger grit/shot and more heavy duty blasting?

For my current project I'm contemplating using rubber hoses for railing/tubes/pipes and for larger items air tubes from car/bicycle tires along with vinyl tape.

What do you guys use when you have mirror finish stainless welded to structures that need to be blasted?

Jarl
    http://dallur.com

2. alan white

alan white Senior Member

Sheet rubber, sold as swimming pool/garden pool liner. About 70 cents a square foot.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.