Arrr

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by The_Escape_Plan, Sep 26, 2010.

1. G'day... Bought a 28 foot steel sloop and want to circumnavigate Aus in it, only had wooden boats before but grew to hate them and figure steel is the best option for me to go around...

The bad...

(Supposed) New batteries were Kaput!
    Dire need of antifoul
    Few rust spots
    Few interior cosmetic issues but nothing elbow grease can't fix

The good...

Solar Panel
    Garmin GPS
    27 meg radio
    CD Player
    22 inch flatscreen tv
    Natural gas hotwater
    Natural gas oven/grill/stove
    Custom ice box (over 100L)
    Pressurised water
    Amazingly roomy with comfy v berth
    Lots of storage
    Lots of sails, mostly good
    Mariner sailpower 6 hp outboard
    Safety gear
    Inflatable tender
    Use of mooring

The sale...

Bought off Asian engineer, he did a little work on it and took missus and kid out. All great until heading home when forty five knot winds come up and they shyte themselves and she told him to sell the boat.

The price...

$2500aud

The brand? Dunno... Guy I bought off said he thought the guy he bought it off said John Pugh but some here where I am moored say Roberts. Either way I am happy as a clam!

2. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

I don't see how you can argue with a deal like that.

My advice, though: spend a fair chunk of the money you saved off market value going after the 'dire need of anti-foul' and the 'few rust spots.'

3. peter radclyffe

peter radclyffe Senior Member

you may like to dump the gas cooker, if it is below deck, if your sensor is faulty one day, it may be the last thought that goes thru your head

4. Brian@BNE

Brian@BNE Senior Member

Welcome to the site. Sounds a great deal, congrats.

As soon as you have the outside cleaned up and new antifoul, find the time to inspect as much of the inside of the hull as you can. Rusting from inside-to-out is your biggest risk. Know what condition it is in, and get on top of that maintenance.

If its a Bruce Roberts it will very likely have been home built, but could still be quite OK. If it was home wired as well, then that could be OK also, but that's another very big corrosion risk. Have a suitably experienced (marine) sparky check it out for you.

Enjoy. Come back to forum with questions, as there is a wealth of knowledge available from very experienced folk in addition to occasional tips from learners like me.

5. masalai

masalai masalai

Sweet....

6. Pulled the boat up and had some work done... The overall condition is good but there were some things that we came across but jumped on it and am ready to go back in the water...

Cost for repairs and antifoul $1289
    Toilet pump $89
    Panels $700
    Frames wielded for panels $120
    Turbine (building myself from quality pma low wind model motor) $700
    04 Mercury 3.3 $200
    8? Tohatsu 18hp $175

Total of project so far $5773aud

Budgeted $$7500 set up and $300pw travel expenses(won't need this much hopefully)

Still need a few things but am thinking hard about needs and wants so would be interested to hear what you guys think I should take with me? I have the entertainment and music situation sorted with a variety of low voltage goodies to keep me pre occupied.

I am handy with electrics and have gone over them with a fine tooth pick and everything other than the no voltage regulator is in good condition, the seacocks are plastic and in good order which was a bonus. The hull is in really good condition , they used tar inside and everyone who looked says I did exceptionally well.

Everywhere I read online about CNG I hear bad things, how many boats blow up? If I service it will it be ok or should I just scrap it and go bbq off back with butane back up inside? I was thinking lpg camping hotwater service outside when black plastic solar isn't working (can't see this to be expected where I am heading, loads of sun).

Met a really interesting guy from WA Aus who did a solo navigation and he has supplied me with his planning notes, a little bit daunting though as he is a mining exec who had more zero's in his budget than I am capable of but I am very appreciative he has given me some time.

Really excited, nervous and weary about what lies ahead but by november 1 I should be on my way....

7. Tantalus

Tantalus 1963 kauri cruiser

Please keep us updated and informed of your progress. Wil you have www connectivity on board?

8. masalai

masalai masalai

Live the dream, take your time cruising, explore every creek that you can access (check on google to make sure you can turn around :eek:)

I do not like the cold, nor the severe weather that can quickly arrive from Antarctic waters with debilitating effect... (I got caught in a gale off the Abrolhos - NW of Geraldton, Western Australia and really felt the energy loss as the chill winds whistled around during my watches...) So I avoid The great Australian Bight.... Rather go back the way I came - around the top end... See you out there sometime... I will be launching about the same time... Caboolture river...

9. Hi Tantalus... I am hoping to, I am looking for a solution but the ones I see some others recommend are out of my budget right now.

10. This is just something I have to do Masalai, I am **** scared I must admit, my last yacht sank with me on it in a storm off the southern end so I am well aware of how fast it can hit the fan and I do feel a little under equiped in certain areas but I am keeping my eye out for bargains and I am going to take my time... I only draw 1.3 so I can get right in close and with the twin keel and rudder I can even beach her which makes me feel way more comfortable.

11. masalai

masalai masalai

If you must go around the bottom go from WA to the east cost as the gales will blow you in the right direction ??? otherwise, load it on a truck and cross the Nullabore in style and comfort... No "shame" in that just plain common sense... (Why try to have sex in a barbed wire hammock?)

12. I plan to head up your way first, I want to island hop and spend some time up on the whitsundays, I figure it is the safest and most practical route for me.

Has anyone used the garmin mobile xt software? Would this be suitable for my needs? I am limited in funds as you are aware so I am trying to think of a cost effective and reliable solution.

13. masalai

masalai masalai

I have gone for a dedicated chart plotter, backed up by paper charts on which to maintain a 'B' pencil plot of my route and position marks with time-&-date and a book on which to log my voyages...

DO NOT rely on Windows. It is Not reliable period... Mac & linux are robust but I am sticking with a chart plotter capable of accepting 2 x SD cards one for preloaded charts, the other for route planning and keeping a record of way-points achieved...

My computers will be for other records (video and images as well as internet access if I find a "live 802.11g spot" in my travels)... I do have a copy of GPS-Drive on my computers but that is mainly as a log and planning as charts must be downloaded - it is a free download from Europe - I am still looking for something but not worried as primary is paper charts, then gps-chart electronic device... Some electronic maps are accurate some are not, but they do simplify things for the lazy :D ...

14. one thing we will have to agree to disagree on is the mac statement masalai... I am a serious musician/producer and have macheads in my face nearly every day, when apple bought logic and started using intel parts the argument died for me and now I run windows machines that are higher spec and half the price and am of the belief that the only apple worth buying is the variety you eat! Linux has merit but still too geeky for me, if something goes wrong onboard, I have a mulitude of laptops I can depend on. I was thinking of a dedicated netbook for navigation and boat related stuff and use my nokia smart phone with garmin xt which I really only use for foxtel to plug into the flat screen.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.