fibreglass repair

Discussion in 'Materials' started by amamini, May 18, 2009.

1. amamini

amamini Junior Member

Hi Everybody,

I have some questions about the repair of fibreglass structure.

1. Which is the best method to do that?
    2. How should I prepare the damaged part?
    3. What can I do to have the fairing of hull as the same as before damage?

I will appreciate it if you send me your remarks

Regards

Ahmad

2. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

Hi Ahmad,

Fibreglass repair techniques vary greatly depending on the type of damage, the original laminate structure, and how the part is loaded.

It is impossible to offer any specific guidance without knowing what kind of damage exists, and in what kind of part.

There is a feature on the forum by which you can upload photos of your problem area. (Reply by clicking "go advanced", then scroll down to "manage attachments".) If you can post a photo showing the entire damaged part of the boat, as well as some close-up photos showing how extensive the damage is and what kind of laminate is exposed by the damage, we may be able to help you. Telling us how this happened may also give clues as to how extensive it is and whether there may be hidden damage that also needs to be cut out and fixed.

3. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

'Glass repair success is largely dependant on the skill and experience of the laminator. If you're having these basic questions, then you don't have these skills.

This said, you could acquire these skills as you learn how to make this repair. The fairing portion will likely require a few attempts, before it's looking satisfactory or at least similar to the original, undamaged hull. For this you might considering hiring a person to fair it up nice, maybe a person from an auto body shop. Conversely you could try to muddle through on your own.

As Matt has pointed out, without specific knowledge of the damage, the type of construction, etc. it's difficult to offer more then encouragement. If you could post some pictures and the details about your boat (year, make, model, etc.) this would help greatly.

4. amamini

amamini Junior Member

Hi Matt and Par,
    Thank you very much for your very soon reply and the comments. That was very interesting for me. I will try to prepare photos showing the entire damaged part and upload that on the forum.

Regards
    Ahmad

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.