Installing Bemini cover

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by Paul RC, Oct 19, 2007.

1. Paul RC

Paul RC Junior Member

I just bought a 2003 19' Glastron open bow. It doesn't have the proper snaps or supports from the factory for a top like this. Is this something I can buy from the dealer and install myself or do I have to have a Glastron dealer install it. Please advise me if you have any suggestions. Thanx

paul

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

If you're reasonably handy, it's not a difficult job to install a set of hoops, their related hardware and the canvas. You can get pre-sized and arranged tops for many specific models, yours is likely included in that list. Have a look at West Marine's offerings to see what's available. If you buy from the dealer, you'll pay a lot more then if you source it out, possibly on line.

3. Paul RC

Paul RC Junior Member

Thanx. I will see what West Marines has to offer. I assume they have a website? Would they also be a good place to order saftey accessories like life vests, rope, flares etc?

paul

4. DanishBagger

DanishBagger Never Again

5. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

DO a search for "bimini" or "boat canvas" on line. West Marine will be full retail and quite costly compared to other outfits. There is likely a small canvas shop near you which can provide you with a good price or possibly a DYI kit.

6. DanishBagger

DanishBagger Never Again

7. alaskamokaiman

alaskamokaiman Junior Member

Get it in "Top Gun" material cost more but will last longer.

8. Paul RC

Paul RC Junior Member

Ok I will research this "top gun" material. But has anyone ever installed one on their own as opposed to having a dealer do it? Thanks for the replies.

paul

9. alaskamokaiman

alaskamokaiman Junior Member

Paul having one custom made is standard. If you can get a premade one it is not hard to install yourself.
    I did upholstery for a few years in the 70s if you are hand with tools no problem.