400 series OMC question

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by mrnoobboater, May 27, 2013.

1. mrnoobboater

mrnoobboater New Member

I have spent half of my entire Sunday looking for a good write up on this outdrive and am in need of desperate help. Let me start by explaining I am a complete novice with boats. For the last three weekends me and my dad have been tearing down and repairing cosmetics and electrics in my first purchase of a boat (1979 Apollo, with a 140 hp Mercruiser engine and a OMC 400 series outdrive). This boat seems to have lots of potential we've straightened out what we believe to be all electrical issues and have it running great. The boat fires up every time shifts properly to forward reverse, no signs of rot, overall I think my purchase was good.

Now for the noob help question. I know how to change gear oil on outboard engines but this 400 series I/O has me a little puzzled. I see, if I remember correctly, 4 flat blade plugs in various positions around the out drive a couple of which say oil fill and others with no description. My question is do I fill these all separately and do they have their own drain plugs, or do these all combine to the same drain plug and do all these take the same type of gear lube? Please if I sound like I don't know what I'm talking about it's because I don't.... Any help would be greatly appreciated. I just want to service my boat before she hits the water.

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Welcome to the forum.

[​IMG]

Buy a manual for your drive. It will answer most of your question and provide basic information about its care.