what is the tinest engine i could use to plane this boat off?

Discussion in 'Outboards' started by racing fan, Dec 14, 2010.

1. racing fan

racing fan Senior Member

I have a ebko hydroplane 14 ft. 4 person it weighs about 1000 lbs unloaded (no people engine ect.) I am having a dispute i hear a 30 hp is gonna be enough but i know the boat was designed for 115hp and up would like a 30 hp even move the boat? and would any thing less then a 115 hp push/ plane the boat off well fully loaded?

2. racing fan

racing fan Senior Member

the boat is a 1970's 14 ft. ebko sprint and it has a close design or relation to the ebko ski bee but it is a sprint

Attached Files:

3. mark775

mark775 Guest

Depending on what "fully loaded" is, yes. I scooted right along in a similar boat on fifteen horse when I was a kid (just a little smaller). Thirty won't scare you but I can't imagine what you could put in it that would make it not plane. Have fun - I wish it were mine!

4. Submarine Tom

Submarine Tom Previous Member

The tiniest?

I'll bet with a half full 2 gallon tank mounted right up front and a 45 pound (20 kg) driver laying down to reduce air drag, it would plane with a 9.9hp.

Have you tried?

Fully loaded, hmmm, 40hp...

-Tom

5. racing fan

racing fan Senior Member

I haven't had this boat in the water yet. bought it for a project boat 2 years ago it's a cool boat and a favorite for drag boaters. but to my understanding the 2 previous owners had this in the water and they had 150 and the 2nd had 125 hp on it and i went to another forum (hydroracer.net) and i asked them and they said the boat was designed for a 4 cylinder to a 6 cylinder witch is like 115-175 hp. I was basically gonna use a 125hp but i had and have a current dispute i am pretty sure i am gonna have lots of passengers like me plus at least 1 other but i will have about 3 people plus a dog if we all get in and like me and 2-3 friends or family on other days. I want to get up and go with 4 people or 3 and a dog etc. and maybe like a little crap like a cooler like a small one. so my question is will a 30hp get up and go with 4 people or 3 with a dog i personally don't think so but i need proof from all you guys so pick your side 30hp or 125-150hp?

6. mark775

mark775 Guest

And the putas and mariachis? After all, you have 14 feet!

7. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

If it weighs 1000 lbs sans engine etc., it will be needing a lot more power than some here are suggesting. That figure seems high.

8. racing fan

racing fan Senior Member

i made a mistake it weighs 850 lbs with 150 hp motor gas tank seats no people so you guys think i need like 125 hp or higher right?

9. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Not really. It will plane with probably 35HP. That is what you were asking. What do you mean by "go"? For some people that is 15 mph, for others is at least 70mph. At 10mph the boat is planing.

10. racing fan

racing fan Senior Member

definition of go

i want to do 70 or more with it fully loaded 4 passengers between people and dogs and a little luggage

11. Submarine Tom

Well that's a long way from your original question now isn't it.

Are you sure that's what you want to know?

-Tom

12. JLIMA

JLIMA crazed throttleman

With a 30 hp you'll more than likely get to plane although not anywhere near 70 mph at that size engine it's just not happening sorry to say. Although by my definition a 2.2 would make her "go", but thats not what your asking now is it....hmmm I would say a 70 hp engine would make her go REAL good by my standards... So lets see boat + 150hp engine=850 lbs average engine that size weighs about 450 lbs leaving you with 400 lbs about of boat weight to which we add about 320 lbs for my 70hp engine so back up to 720 lbs boat+engine I assume by 4 people you mean 4 average Americans so lets say 180lbs apiece X 4 so another 720lbs or so; we are now at 1440lbs add cooler of beers (I always have one present, so I assume you do too) so lets add 30 lbs to that for "supplies" and round up to 1500 lbs....it's alot of weight to "get out of the hole". My guess is that a 25hp MIGHT get you on plane a 30 probably would 50 you've been on plane for a while although not close to 70mph more likely around 30mph and making one helluva wake as you d at least loaded like that...a 90 might get you maybe 55mph maybe more ....Just me personally I wouldn't recommend putting that many people on a boat that size, If was supposed to end up as a drag boat of sorts then carrying that many people may mean the only place she's going is the bottom and fast, just my opinion and I'm more than sure I will be disagreed with by at least one person. Regardless good luck on finishing her out ... but I do think you are onto something with the dog....Looks like would make a mean duck boat....

13. mark775

mark775 Guest

That's what I would use it for - One man, one dog, one 12 gauge, one large Thermos of coffee (Maybe a little zippin' around for the kids in the summer. For that, take the 9.9 off and install the sixty). I think he's kidding about the entire band going for a ride - at least, I hope he is.
    http://www.mercuryracing.com/outboards/60efiformularace.php

14. Submarine Tom

Beer and speed. Sounds like a dandy mix to me.

Just put a 300 on it and you're away!

-Tom

15. racing fan

racing fan Senior Member

I am not kidding about that many people it was made for that many so it will handle it fine my basic question is will this boat do like 70 with 4 people or 3 and a dog and maybe a small amount of luggage with 30 hp or what i want a 125-150 hp i know a 30 hp won't plane it off well but i need your opinions and note i know it will handle it fine because i saw the metal coast guard plate in it you know this many passengers or this much weight it said 5 people or 1350 lbs including motor not the boat weight itself and i have been around boats for forever so i know my stuff pretty well i think and the 2 former owners had that many people in in too so it will be fine after restoration so i need your opinions a 30hp with that much crap or 125-150hp with that much crap any help will be nice thanks

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.