What is the name of this socket style?

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by kendz, Jun 10, 2012.

1. kendz

kendz New Member

Hello,
    I am missing an oarlock socket and all the side mount ones I can find don't give me enough clearance.

I have been trying to find a match to the existing one but cannot come up with the correct search query. I have attached a photo of the existing one.

Does anyone know what this style of oarlock socket is called? (ie.. offset, raised, ...) And perhaps a good source to order from?

Thanks for your help,
    Kendz

Attached Files:

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

It's called a side mount oar lock socket and commonly available.

[​IMG]

These are bronze and accept standard 1/2" open of closed oar locks. Yours look to have a bit more stand off, so you may want a angle mount type of socket.

3. kendz

kendz New Member

More Pictures

Thanks for the reply but I have tried normal side mount sockets. They do not give enough clearance to go around/above the lip.

I also am thinking of putting a spacer in between but even with them upside down (to add some height) the oar will hit the lip.

Here are a couple more pics that show better detail.

Thanks again,
    Kendz

Attached Files:

4. Landlubber

Landlubber Senior Member

Looks like you will just have to fabricate them from alloy tube and flat bar....no big deal mate.

5. lewisboats

lewisboats Obsessed Member

A local welder can knock those out for you in a few minutes and for only a few bucks...if they have the time.

6. alan white

alan white Senior Member

The oarlocks pictured are aluminum. If you use bronze oarlock sockets, be sure to insulate between the dissimilar metals. I looked around online and found bronze oarlock sockets aplenty but no aluminum ones of that config..
    Mount the sockets on aluminum or phenolic blocks to stand them out beyond the vinyl molding. Phenolic resin blocks are available through woodworkers tool outlets. No insulation would be needed if you use phenolic resin blocks.

7. kendz

kendz New Member

Thanks for the replies, I will give the local machine shop a try and keep in mind the different metals not touching.
    Thanks everyone,
    Kendz

8. Ibid

Ibid New Member

Oar lock for aluminum boat

There is a NAPA automotive store down the hill that is a nation wide chain I think. It has a small marine department with some pot metal or aluminum oar locks in a blister pack. These could work for you and the price would be less than a fab shop minimum hourly charge (unless the guy in the shop takes pity on you). The oarlocks might need a shim to clear the tubing that forms the gun'al.

9. FMS

FMS Senior Member

Yes, fabricating the one piece is nice and not that difficult. A block behind a standard oar lock would work too.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.