Transom Replacement Foam vs Marine Ply

Discussion in 'Materials' started by MJB, Jun 12, 2006.

1. MJB

MJB New Member

I am replacing a Marine Plywood core transom and am considering either Coosa Board (Coosa Composites), Renicell (DIAB Inc), or a marine plywood core.

Replacement transom is for a 28' twin outboard with bracket. Original was 2 sheets of 3/4" sandwiched with fiberglass. I am thinking of sandwiching using either of the 3 materials listed.

Any recommendations/considerations?

MJB

2. dereksireci

dereksireci Senior Member

Price

Ask your wallet.

All three options will work well. The plywood must be FULLY encapsulated in fiberglass and resin to keep the water away. If it is it will work fine.

djs

3. MJB

MJB New Member

Appreciate the info, I'm concerned with the thru transom drains and a couple bolts which are on the outside of the bracket. Therefore, for a "few dollars more" I'm opting for coosa based on some research and ultimately peace of mind knowing I don't have wood to worry about.

MJB

4. grp.boat

grp.boat Junior Member

can bushes not be used where the bolts are as not to crush the core...

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.