E-tec cable routing issues

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by crzhors, Mar 25, 2007.

1. crzhors

crzhors Junior Member

I've recently had hard shifting claims come to me with brand new Etec engines.One is a repower of an older boat,the other a brand new Low dollar Panga hull. Routing of the cables is the issue.The original "system" is real smooth but with the wrong lengths and turns,it tends to bind.I'd like some tips from others on length and geometry 'rules of thumb'. The Low dollar builder told me we needed stiffer Red Jacket cables.A cover up of a bad design I think. Thanks,JD

2. hmattos

hmattos Senior Member

A few issues come to mind. Here at Explorer Marine we build fast Inflatables - see www.explorermarine.co.uk - and we fit E-TEC engines.

In our experience hard shifting is generally down to poor cable routing, or poor quality control cables. We take the Evinrude or for more difficult installations, we use aircraft quality " Green Jacket" cables, and route in a 1 foot diameter full circle ( for steering and tilt) back to the steering cable and then follow that up to the helm without any unnecessary bends. It is important that the cables at the control box - we use binacle mount as it gives a better shift and looks more integrated with our consoles - are free to move up and down. Too many boat builders tie the cables to prevent motion which makes the shift stiff. At least 24 inches need to be free!

When you have checked all that out, the next problem is "over pushing" the throttle stop at the engine end. To test this, connect some water and take the throttle cable off altogether. start the engine and check the shift at idle. then stop engine and reconnect the throttle with no force oof contact. Restart and it should feel just the same.

Lastly, if you still have a problem, check whether it varies with steering position - a cable pushing on an engine well may indeed become kinked. If in doubt, take the cable off and ensure that you can slide it freely by itself.

The latest Japanese control boxes are far better than the earlier Mexican built controls.
    Hope this helps
    Hugh Mattos Chartered Engineer - www.explorermarine.co.uk

1 person likes this.