Midship Section & Bending Moments

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Guest, Dec 1, 2004.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Hi everyone,
    I have had a quick look around the forum looking for information on checking the longnitudinal strength of a vessel without any luck. I was hoping someone on this forum could point me in the right direction to gather more information on calculating still water bending moments & utilizing this to check that the midship section of a monohull vessel is strong enough to resist these forces.

Thanks in advance for all your help.

Cheers,
    Sean

2. fcfc

fcfc Guest

3. Eric Sponberg

Eric Sponberg Senior Member

Sean,

Principles of Naval Architecture, available from the Society of Naval Architects and Marine Engineers, has a thorough description of how to calculate hull bending moment. It begins with the weight of the vessel, less its buoyancy, all distributed along the length of the vessel, to determine the final load of the hull. This load distribution is then integrated twice to get first shear loading, then the bending moment. From the geometry of the ship structure, you can calculate the hull girder moment of inertia and section modulus at any point along the length of the hull. Dividing bending moment by the section modulus at any position gives you the stress in the structure. Dividing bending moment by Young's modulus x moment of inertia (ExI) and integrating twice more gives the deflection of the hull (hog or sag). For cargo ships, this process must be completed for each cargo loading condition.

Eric

4. Guest

Guest Guest

Thanks

Hi fcfc & Eric,

Thanks for both your responses.
    The vessel I am looking at is made from aluminium and isn't long in length 11m and is a hard chined vessel with fewer transverse frames & longnitudinal stiffeners and increased plate thickness. So I just want to check that it's longitudinal strength is sufficient.
    I have been putting off buying the PoNA, this just gave me another reason to buy them sooner rather than later.

Thanks again for your responses,
    Sean

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.