What is meant by a Ragged Chine Hull?

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by scormack, Mar 9, 2006.

1. scormack

scormack Simon Cormack

This may be an old term not much used today but I am interested what the general opinion is on its meaning. My thought is a hull with spary rail integrated with the chine, so common today that the description is not needed. but I could be totally on the wrong track.

2. scormack

scormack Simon Cormack

If anyone is interested I have found the answer to my question. It was a system designed by Alan McLachlan when he worked at GL Watson, I am now involed with some of their work and therefore conclude it was a term invented and used by GL Watson back in the 60's, 70's and early 80's and as far as I know it wasn't used on many boats. I will be in touch with Alan shortly and will post any further information.

Example hull at the link below. It was also intended to be used on the Arun class but missed out due to cost, possibly for the best given the success of that hull.

http://www.geocities.com/rlangham2004/aclass.html

Last edited: Mar 13, 2006
    1 person likes this.
  3. tom28571

tom28571 Senior Member

Interesting concept. I wonder if any tests were run to determine if it was more or less effective than a normal bottom.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.