New Boat, what do I need?

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by dbock, Jun 28, 2005.

1. dbock

dbock New Member

Never owned a power boat before, just bought a 2005 SeaRay 185 Sport (18' bowrider) with a 115 hp Mercury outboard. We live on the east coast of Florida and wil be using it mostly in the Intercoastal waterway. We plan to use it for cruising to spoil islands, tubing (two kids, 9 & 11), skiing, some fishing.

What kind of things should I be expecting to need for these kinds of activities and about how much does this stuff cost? The boat came with a bimini top, boat covers, ski tripod and Coast Guard kit (cheap life jackets, flare, whistle, air horn).

David

2. KCook

KCook Senior Member

You can go crazy buying equipment. But experience will also show you what stuff is really needed. I would go slow on buying stuff. New boat, but you didn't say if you were also new to operating boats? If so, there is lots to learn. Here is a thread on another site that covers most of this -

BoatingABC.com » ... » A few threads for our "New" boat owners.

Kelly Cook

3. dbock

dbock New Member

Thanks Kelly, that is a great place to start.

David

4. mackid068

mackid068 Semi-Newbie Posts Often

The coast guard package your boat came with is sufficient, but could use some improvements. Buy some good type I PFDs, a good set of SOLAS approved flares, a first aid kit with CPR mask, that sort of stuff. Also, you ought to get a VHF radio, a good GPS and some charts. By the way, I'm looking at the same exact boat albeit the 180 Sport without the outboard, so how's it working out? Handles well, I imagine.

5. Corpus Skipper

Corpus Skipper Hopeless Boataholic

A good galvanized or aluminum Danforth type anchor, 50 feet of 3/8 anchor line (more if venturing out from the ICW), a waterproof storage bin or bag for charts, boat registration, etc..., first aid kit, tool kit (screw drivers, 1/4" through 5/8" wrenches, pliers, vice grips, 8" crescent wrench, test light, wire stripper/crimpers, spark plug socket, wire, crimps, cotter pins, hose clamps, small assortment of stainless nuts/bolts/screws), small flash light, spare fuel filter, 2 qts engine oil, spare prop/nut/retainer, set of spark plugs (in a sealed package/bag), light bulbs for running lights. If you might do some snorkeling or swimming, add a 5 lb mushroom anchor and 20 ft. of 3/8 line to hold the stern in position, use as a grab line, or whatever. Sounds like a lot, but it will fit, and should be enough to keep you from having to use those flares and radio. :D

6. mackid068

I'll attach an excel document with my reccomendations, aside from boat registration/neccessary documents and tools (and engine related equipment). It'll be up in a bit.

7. mackid068

Here we are.

Attached Files:

8. duluthboats

duluthboats Senior Dreamer

Find the area chapter of the Power Squadron and take their small boat class, that’s a great place for a beginner to start.

9. dbock

dbock New Member

Thanks to all. I've be on vacation trying out my new boat. Yes, it runs great!! There are still a couple of things I am looking for as a result of my first week with the boat.
    1. Small waterproof containers to keep things dry and organized, e.g. tool box, first-aid kit (I prefer to make my own.)
    2. Container to keep towels and extra clothes dry. (As you can see, I learned that there is not really any place on a small boat that stays dry.)
    3. A way to lock up the trailer when I'm not with the vehicle. I can lock the trailer to the ball, but I don't know how to prevent someone from removing the ball and stem from the vehicle. The trailer hitch receiver is welded to the van frame, but the ball stem slides into it and is held in place by a pin which is secured by a cotter pin.

David

10. Corpus Skipper

Corpus Skipper Hopeless Boataholic

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.