looking for where i can pick up masts for a 1975' samson c-breeze

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by captainamerica, Sep 14, 2009.

1. captainamerica

captainamerica New Member

Any info or an estimate or bid would be very helpful. Mine was damaged in a recent hurricane and i am trying to decide whether to sell it or repair it. Anyone have a ballpark on the price for both masts? i cant really find any info on how much they cost online. Its a 55' boat.

2. Brent Swain

Brent Swain Member

Steel masts are quick and easy to build, and cheap. 5 5/8th OD well casing with 10 guage wall is readily available , sometimes in hot galvanised. My book has the detailing info for steel masts. They have been very successful on many of my boats . Those who switched to aluminium later didn't find a lot of difference in sailing performance . At 55 feet, the difference in weight between steel and aluminium is not as great as for a smaller boat.
    Brent

3. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Typing sailboat masts into you search engine, will produce the major manufactures quickly enough. Of course it helps if you know what you're looking for. Try Dwyer

http://dwyermast.com/default.asp

4. Brent Swain

Brent Swain Member

I saw a picture in a Floriduh boat trader magazine of a salvage yard in Clearwater Floriduh which had acres of used gear, including large racks of salvaged masts.

5. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

We actually have several boat bone yards here in sunny Florida. Hurricane fodder, second mortgage millworks, whatever you want to call them, they don't advertise, but they can be a wealth of good equipment. I wish they had a network like the automotive salvage yards have.

6. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

B.S. Any salvage yards of magnitude in Canaduh?

7. bistros

bistros Previous Member

Not that I know of in Ontario and Quebec. An unused tube here is usually drafted into flagpole duty.

Z-Hills - I used to go there to jump out of airplanes.

--
    Bill

8. Brent Swain

Brent Swain Member

Masts

Not much .Just stainless scrap from the pulp mills and oil industry, and they are kinda empty lately. There are a few used boaters supplies in Sidney and Vancouver, but we don't have hurricanes to stock them up like Floriduh.
    Brent

9. bntii

bntii Senior Member

There was a shop on the lower Chesapeake Bay that had tons of spars. He had bought up new surplus mast sections and spools of rigging wire for years and had a whole field full of them. I tried to find the name of the yard. Had a slogan like: "motor in & sail out" an used to advertise in the sailing rags. He would build up for you on site- fabrication/welding of the bits as well for good prices.. The shop in on the northern neck of Virginia but I can't remember the name- guy was an old bird so maybe the whole mess is a waterfront restaurant now.

10. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

From my backyard I watch the jumpers from the snap of the chutes most of the way down. They almost always survive. Tis the season for the northern folk to head back to Floriduh.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.