Calling Canberra Aussies - Find a boat

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by RHP, Oct 6, 2009.

1. RHP

RHP Senior Member

Back in 1975-ish a 31 foot Fairey Atalanta 31 somehow went from the UK to Canberra. I say somehow as I dont know whether she sailed or went as deck cargo. The yachts name is 'Freedom 11'

Do any of our Aussie friends know of this boat, is she still around, anyone know where she currently resides and/or the owners details?

She's only 1 of 12 built and a bit of a rarity but more to teh point, she was moored outside our house when I was a kid in Hoylake and would like to know whether she survived!

Thanks any and all advice.
    Richard

Attached Files:

2. Munter

Munter Amateur

That is a big boat for the little lake in Canberra!
    I'm not sure if you know the muddy pond known as Lake Burley Griffin but it feels small in anything larger than a dinghy. Its a man made lake, built for the amenity of the capital. For what it's worth, I sailed on the lake for ten years from about 1990 to 2000 and don't recall seeing such a vessel. Perhaps it went down to the south coast or Jervis Bay where a lot of Canberrans like to holiday. At 31 feet it could have been the biggest sailing vessel on the lake and wouldn't have taken long to realise that it was quite out of place there.

Good luck finding her.

3. RHP

RHP Senior Member

Thanks Munter, anyone out there with knolwedge of Jervis Bay or the South Coast? She's a distinctive looking yacht so should stand out like a sore thumb.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.