Exhaust Lagging/Webbing

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by zamgod, Dec 9, 2009.

1. zamgod

zamgod Junior Member

Hi,
    I've just been given a present of Glassfibre Exhaust Lagging/Webbing which is about 65mm wide and 3mm thick (unstretched). Stretched it's about 105mm by 1mm.
    Can I use this as a substitute for jointing/corner reinforcing tape on my GRP boat?
    Thanks.
    Regards,

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

In an emergency, probably. I think it would be a waste of money and time. The matrial will be very hard to wet and lay.

3. zamgod

zamgod Junior Member

Exhaust Tape/Lagging

Thanks for the advice.

As a matter of interest, the tape/lagging is fairly soft and pliable and appears to be woven with spaces between the weave. Still no good?

Regards,

4. partgypsy

partgypsy Junior Member

exhaust lagging

Yes... use it for what it was intended. BUT the trick to getting exhaust lagging to fit curved pipes and stay smooth is to wet it... but with water... not resin.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.