What is Azipod (azimuthing podded drive) propulsion ?

Discussion in 'Education' started by Dr34m3r, Mar 28, 2019.

1. Dr34m3r

Dr34m3r Senior Member

2. Dejay

Dejay Senior Newbie

1.21 Gigawatts? I just need the 10 kW DIY version!

The combination of the shaft-driven main propeller and the podded propulsor located on the same axis, but without any physical connection.

What do they mean with that? No gearbox?

3. Dr34m3r

Dr34m3r Senior Member

[​IMG]

It means this . The are not connected.

Dejay likes this.
  4. Dejay

Dejay Senior Newbie

Ah thanks! I thought that picture was from a catamaran setup.
    Ok so what is happening there? Is it just two motors where the second one can convert the rotational energy of the water back into thrust for more efficiency? Since water swirling behind would be wasted energy that could be thrust.

5. Barry

Barry Senior Member

The notation, no gear box, means that the electric motor is in the pod and drives the props without a gear box

And is different than the Volvo IPS set up which has gears between the engine and the drive

Dejay likes this.
  6. Dejay

Dejay Senior Newbie

Could two pods with counter-rotating propellers also improve energy efficiency for an extremely low power 40' catamaran that is driven by solar power? They would be mounted along the centerline of the catamaran.
    I'm thinking about very light weight cruising catamaran and improving efficiency at something like 5kW at 8knots or 12kW at 10knots. Could a counter propeller make sense for such an application?

Or does this only make sense for big ships?

One problem is of course that a mere 10% efficiency improvement might yield 10% more range but only something like 2% more speed or so.

Also can you gain at least some of the maneuverability like two pod drives side by side on a catamaran? E.g. the front pod could push sideways while the back pod is rotated to eliminate yaw of the boat.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2019
  7. BlueBell

BlueBell . . . _ _ _ . . . _ _ _

No.
    But one large diameter, high aspect ratio, low RPM, high pitch, 2-blade, short cord propeller would,
    if it had an efficient motor and driveline.
    But wouldn't sails be a more obvious means of efficient propulsion?

Dejay likes this.
  8. Dejay

Dejay Senior Newbie

Thanks!

I guess it's dependent on how much water you actually move and swirl around.

And yeah, sails would be faster and easier to realize but it sounds like an awful lot of hassle and at times hard work :)

For what I want, a slow and comfortable liveaboard cruiser, I think solar panels and batteries could be cheaper than a rig and keel and needed structure too. Highly efficient solar panels e.g. 7.4kWp with 34m² would only be about 6400€.

9. BlueBell

BlueBell . . . _ _ _ . . . _ _ _

If you skip the battery, then you have a sunny day-sailor, and save a ton of money and weight!

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.