ultrasound hardness tester

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by skww, Jan 20, 2009.

1. skww

skww Junior Member

I am looking a ultrasound hardness tester to test the hull and deck (made by fiber glass) to see if there is any air hole, water hole or something that is not acceptable for the hull. Do anyone know any good brand or model?

P.S. but someone told me buying an equipment like that is useless, because you need years of experience to proper use the ultrasound hardness tester. Is that true?

2. Landlubber

Landlubber Senior Member

ultrasound is a thickness tester, it uses a comparative product to be able to distinguish different thickness es in a similar product, such as solid grp, or metals.

3. skww

skww Junior Member

I am gonna use it to test the fiberglass lay up (sandwich construction) to see if there is any air-bubble or holes that will cause water leak. So I think ultrasound is a good choice, and also I can use it to test if the hardness or thickness of the ply is equal distributed.

4. Landlubber

Landlubber Senior Member

You will need different transducers to do that mate.

5. skww

skww Junior Member

like what kind of transducers?

6. Landlubber

Landlubber Senior Member

Different frequencies for different mayerials.

Check out Ultrasonic thickness testers or such on Google, there are many companies making them now, and all of them required a different transducer for different materials.

7. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Hello Skww,

The way to detect cracks, holes, defects is to use a radio active source and a geiger meter. I'm sure the US is more lenient regarding equipment like that than here, where certain ethnic groups believe we will sterilize them with such equipment. Sad but true :D

The manufacturers of such sources should be able to advise you as to the type of source for the type of material you should use.

Here in SA you can hire the manufacturer to such testing.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.