What is a Panga?

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Nojjan, Jun 28, 2008.

1. Nojjan

Nojjan All thumbs...

I have looked at some links for Panga boats but I am not sure I have a grip on what defines a Panga? It seems to simply be a low deadrise slender hull, am I correct? / Nojjan

2. Nojjan

Nojjan All thumbs...

This qualifies as a panga, right?

-----

Attached Files:

3. harlemriverman

harlemriverman Senior Member

4. Bullshipper

Bullshipper Bullshipper

Panga is a latino name for a cheap fiberglass beach boat. Panga translates to hatchet, and the idea is that its bouncing bow chops a smoother path through the wind chop prior to the stern passing over this parted sea where the capt and his mate typically sit.

It fits your quoted specs and is narrow so that one side will tilt closer to the water level to pull nets by hand.

A floorless Imensa 25' footer currently runs around $4700 USD or $6200 with a floor and console. The 33's go for around $9500, again bare bones. A 25 will get close to 7 mpg with a 150 OB and are well suited for close morning fishing before the wind comes up in Mexico's Sea of Cortez as they will carry over a ton in catch and cargo.

Here is a link that gives some specs for different sizes produced in Mexico.

http://www.imemsa.com.mx/lanchas/w33.asp#w33

Yamaha and Mercury have now come out with a 15 degree/delta pad hull that Angler produces called a Pangler as a vehicle to sell more engines. This is a power efficient 27' that gets close to 4 mpg at a 35 mph cruise with a 225 OB running light. They are fitted out to american market standards and usually go for around $42K with trailer, ttop and some other options.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.