Outboard for 20 ft. sailboat with centre board

Discussion in 'Outboards' started by kleppar, Jan 1, 2016.

1. kleppar

kleppar Junior Member

Any ideas for the best outboard with forward/neutral/reverse for this boat?
    [​IMG]

2. whitepointer23

whitepointer23 Previous Member

I had a 20.ft sailboat with swing keel. The johnson 6hp 2 stroke pushed it at hull speed with plenty of reserve power. I think a 4 or 5 hp 4 stroke will be ideal for you. I don't think a boat that size would like a 9.9 yammy or honda on the transom. Too heavy.

3. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

A 5 HP will have FNR available and will easily push this Vivier. If expecting a lot of motor sailing, moving up to an 8 HP would help, but you will not need any more.

4. SukiSolo

SukiSolo Senior Member

/ \ concur, something like a Mariner 4 Hp 4 stroke would be fine for short and medium stuff, getting around harbours etc. You also get an option of integral tank and/or remote tank feed if you need more running time. Proper FNR too. Light enough to move and mount without upsetting the trim too much, so do try lifting any potential motors. The weight is important, but so to is ease of mounting/removing etc especially in a seaway, as you may wish to stow the motor more centrally for better trim when sailing.

5. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

The new Honda 5 HP is 60 pounds (27.2 kg), doesn't make a lot of noise, sips fuel like a bird and is very reliable. If you know where to shop, you can get them for about $1,500.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.