Sometimes boats come out of the water...

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by parkland, Apr 19, 2013.

1. parkland

parkland Senior Member

Sometimes boats come out of the water, and need to get towed somewhere.
    I was just fooling around yesterday, and found a cool solution for someone with a bigger boat that could use a semi tractor, but doesn't want to spend huge cash.
    I think a majority of big boat owners tend to find someone to do it, or has a package deal with the marina, but for the few that might want to tow a larger boat them selves, these might be an option:

Military surplus 6x6 trucks.
    They are not a day to day driver, they ride like crap, but they would get the job done, especially if it's only a few times a year, or so, it wouldn't be bad.
    They can barely manage 60 MPH, but for occasional use only towing, that really shouldn't be an issue.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1991...6699?pt=Military_Vehicles&hash=item19db31cdfb
    Buy it now, 7500$.
    1991 BMY M932A2 5 TON 6X6 TRACTOR TRUCK. 21,868 miles and 1574hrs. 8.3L TURBO CUMMINS WITH AFTERCOOLER ALLISON AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION, CTIS (CENTRAL TIRE INFLATION SYSTEM), AIR SHIFT TRANSFER CASE AND AIR SHIFT FRONT AXLE,POWER STEERING, ABS AIR BRAKES. THE TRUCK IS IN EXCELLENT SHAPE WITH NO LEAKS AND IT RUNS AND DRIVES WELL.WEIGHS 20300 LB

For similar money, you could probably buy an old beat up semi from a farmer or something with 500,000 miles at least on it.

Plus, these units are all wheel drive, which is perfect for sucking a heavy trailer off a launch ramp.

What you guys think, good cheap boat towing vehicle?

2. Squidly-Diddly

Squidly-Diddly Senior Member

Says "CA title" but what about CA 'smog'???

Truckers in CA just went through some big change requiring added equip, and no idea if it would work on that truck without even more money.

And what about tires?

I'd go with old worn out civilian truck, maybe with big winch so truck stays planted high and dry and boat gets pulled out nice and easy.

Like this http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/cto/3727376114.html

or better yet this with old good Ford diesel, not 6.0L new junk... http://stockton.craigslist.org/cto/3720470199.html

Or van w/workshop as 'boat support'. http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/ctd/3753290814.html

They don't have the big diesel and big gearbox of the Army truck, but unless you are pulling a HUGE boat up real mountain passes it would be fine and unlike the Army truck these are otherwise very useful.

3. parkland

parkland Senior Member

I don't know the answers to a lot of the issues you brought up, but I did notice that guys find ways to register those trucks for pretty cheap for personal use.

I think the biggest problem with them, is that they ride like a brick, and are noisy and uncomfortable.

BUT, for the price, you could get a low mile truck, with all wheel drive.

If someone was considering buying a semi or 5 ton for pulling a boat, or houseboat, the odd time, these might be a great option.

4. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

UHaul is a better option for the occasions you might need to yank a big boat home. At $7,500 bucks, that's a lot of rentals.

5. parkland

parkland Senior Member

That is 100% true.
    But, also 100% true, is that a lot of boat owners would be better off renting a boat to begin with for the amount they use it.

6. viking north

viking north VINLAND

Why stop at trucks and boats, I can think of alot of others that one would be better off renting :D

7. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

I'm for rent, usually pretty cheap after a few beers . . .

8. kerosene

kerosene Senior Member

that 6x6 would be awesome on our farm and very cheap at those hours/miles.

Too bad shipping it to Finland might cost a pretty penny (+duty +VAT 24% both calculated from price including shipping)

9. WestVanHan

WestVanHan Not a Senior Member

..and you'd better check to see if it can even be exported out of the US.

10. keysdisease

keysdisease Senior Member

Sometimes boats come out of the water and stay on the water

Attached Files:

11. parkland

parkland Senior Member

Theres actually a few places that sell them in canada, including one in quenelle BC.

12. parkland

parkland Senior Member

LOL, fair enough.

13. parkland

parkland Senior Member

It's a very cheap machine for what it does, farm duty would probably be a great match.
    It is to bad that someone else is always taxing you, I don't even know what to say about that, ecept for that I feel you're pain.

14. kerosene

kerosene Senior Member

Well its not that bad - free quality college/university education, health care and many other things make it bearable. Vehicle taxation is one of the trickier bits but I can live with it.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.