What have you done this weekend...?

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Wynand N, Jul 6, 2008.

1. Boston

Boston Previous Member

collected final payment on a project now Im heading out to the clubs

now that Im thinkin about it I had a girl once a long time ago with three nipples its just one didn't turn into a tit
    and it wasnt in the middle either

so close and yet so far

B

2. masalai

masalai masalai

Boston, remember to get some more wood before you think of making other things that are equally expensive:D:D:eek:

I have been playing 'pir-ates of pen-z-ants' - - - splattering humour all over the place:D:D:D

3. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Just got back yesterday, drove 530 miles up to Kanchanaburi to the bridge on the river Kwai. 8 of us on big bikes through bangkok by roll on roll off ferry and through Rama11 road.

I saw hell fire pass, where 200,000 prisoners died ,-a lot of Australians dug out a cutting for the Japanese railway to Burma .

A horrendously awful place off death with now a small cinema and museum maintained by the Australian government that shows the horror of it all.

At night the show of lights and mock bombings of the bridge with real a steam train and lazer planes in the sky was impressive and many tourists 2 times per night.

Beautiful long windy roads through North Thailand with the thunderous roar of big V twins.

Weather was dry and sunny every day at 30 degrees, riding in shirt and shorts, not a cloud in the sky.

Thinking of a bigger bike , I fancy a Honda VTX 1800.

4. masalai

masalai masalai

Had an interesting chat with Bob Oram, I bow to the man's understanding and knowledge - - I am full of anticipation and desire to go sailing and get the feel for my dual genoa rig - - Hitch-Hiker sail layout, as originally thought out by John Hitch, with the latest refinement being on X-IT... April 2010 is all go...

5. Boston

Boston Previous Member

I gave up on hiring anyone to build me a web site. Spent the last few days learning HTML and then a few all nighters writing code. I think I did a pretty decent job of it, although Im sure my grammar skills did me in somewhere along the line. go check it out if you like "maxtanks.com". Basically its high end fish tanks for the rich and famous.

am still working on it but the jist is there

cheers
    B

oh
    and no worries Mass there will be no little Bostons any time soon
    I got 2 of my own already and 2 adopted so I think my plates full

cheers

6. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Save yourself some time and download Open Office, I think it here - www.openoffice.org. Open Office can create a web (html) page from a normal typed page with pictures etc etc.

Faster and easier you won't find.

7. Boston

Boston Previous Member

I'm already done
    did it in just a few nights and Im pretty happy with the results
    besides now I know the code and can easily go in and change whatever I want

Im amazed at how easy HTML really is
    cant believe I let some bunch of schisters take me for all that money before I finally got busy myself

but thanks for the suggest
    your not the first to suggest that
    its just if Im going to do something myself, I like to understand all the nuts and bolts

kinda why Im hanging out round here
    getting ready for the retirement build

B

1 person likes this.
  8. masalai

masalai masalai

Boston, Good on you... Well done... Put the website link in your signature area... then wherever you post, people can find your site:D:D:D...

9. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

Guys always remember that Wordpress.com works really well and is for free
    you can have yourname.com without the "wordpress" for a small fee
    look at mine, did it myself and i can show you MANY expert sites that are A LOT WORSE

10. Boston

Boston Previous Member

ok I think I got it this time
    B

11. KnottyBuoyz

KnottyBuoyz Provocateur & Raconteur

Got a vasectomy. :(

Walking gingerly now. :(

Boston. Give me a shout if you need help. 15+ yrs experience with websites.

12. Boston

Boston Previous Member

Thanks Rick you never know when ill hit my level of incompetence and just not be able to solve something
    so far so good though

check it out if you like I think the link will show up sub-scripted in my posts these days

could always use constructive input from the professionals in the squad

speaking of which are we allowed to link to this forum and for the forum to link back? Is there a specific page were I can grab a logo or something to link to on my page? Do we need permission to do that>

Im a complete newbe when it comes to the whole web site thing

thanks
    B

13. KnottyBuoyz

KnottyBuoyz Provocateur & Raconteur

Hey Boston

I exceeded my own level of incompetence many years ago. I'm a gov't desk jockey! :p

Check out the "boatbuilding ring". You might want to get hooked up with them for reciprocal links that'll get some traffic to your site.

You can link into any site as far as I know. They're always appreciated if they're "on topic". There's probably a link here to contact the administrators for the boat design forums. They can provide you with the correct graphics to use for linking.

Web sites are like boats, the more you build, the better you get. If you're looking for tips & tricks try googling "royalty free graphics" or "free web templates". They can get you up and running quickly with decent looking sites.

A few of the things I do (did) when starting a project were:

1. detail the purpose and goals of the site (info only, e-commerce etc).
    2. assemble the content and organize in a logical fashion
    3. sketch the layout on graph paper
    4. wire frame the site (that's a rough draft) and test to see if it meets req'ts in step 1 above.
    5. beta test (get feedback, this is where you're at now) but your site should be 90%+ complete when you do this part.

That should keep you busy for awhile. ;)

14. masalai

masalai masalai

Very nice Boston, Very professional in that navigation is intuitive and the site is uncluttered and feels nice... good on you...

bugger......... - "You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Boston again"... :D:D:D:eek:

15. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

Back home after two weeks with the wife in the mountains :D
    It was our 25th wedding anniversary and the idea was to go somewhere really peacefull.
    South Africa has some beautifull country side and if you guys ever have the good fortune to sail into Durban one day - the nearest Drakensberg mountain resorts are about 4 hours by car.
    The first pic is of the view from our hotel "Bushmansnek" at the foot of the southern Drakensberg close to a town called Underburg
    The second pic is much further north, about 8 hours from Durban, where we spent the second week at a "health spa" Kiara Lodge. The second pic is of the Golden gate nature reserve. This is about 1 hour from a town called Clarens. Absolutely beautifull country side.

Now for the GOOD NEWS - the missus is happy (manicures - rabbit food and all that ****)
    and i can go sailing :D
    always method in my madness
    i leave tommorow for Durban where i will be sailing the indian ocean for a week with the acadamy, i will post pics next week when i am back :cool:

HAPPY NEW YEAR

Attached Files:

2 people like this.
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.