What have you done this weekend...?

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Wynand N, Jul 6, 2008.

1. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Some of my Bloemhof photo's...

The before and after the storm pictures of the camp. Philip's tent got rinsed.. his sleeping bag, towl etc was found in the mud. His wife gave him a pink ! towl to take with... after the mud he washed it but the color didn't recover.

When we got back home we unpack, his wife went 'lovie that's not our towl' and the quire went 'yes, it is' :D

Attached Files:

• BH1.jpg
      BH1.jpg
      File size:
      102.8 KB
      Views:
    • BH2.jpg
      BH2.jpg
      File size:
      295.9 KB
      Views:
    • BH3.jpg
      BH3.jpg
      File size:
      95.7 KB
      Views:
    • BH.jpg
      BH.jpg
      File size:
      251.4 KB
      Views:
  2. Guillermo

Guillermo Ingeniero Naval

What have I done this weekend...?

Stay at home.

Cheers.

Attached Files:

3. Guillermo

Guillermo Ingeniero Naval

....although waves we are experiencing now are not as big as the ones we had in March 2008. Some waves reached 21 mts then. Here I attach some images from La Coruña at that time.

Cheers.

Attached Files:

4. Wynand N

Wynand N Retired Steelboatbuilder

and I know exactly what Manie pondered about....."I'm on the wrong boat now, should have build a mono, perhaps a steel one":D :D :D

5. Wynand N

Wynand N Retired Steelboatbuilder

typical bad weather pics of Bloemhof. Having said that Fanie, the storm I had whipped up much larger waves than the ones in the bottom pic, and the **** part about it, it was only 1 - 1.5 meter apart:eek:

Nice barber (catfish) you have there; whereabouts did you caught it and what bait did you use?

My weekend is dull without my fish boat - it is at Lutz Marine, v/d Bylpark for a complete mayor service and tuneup to get all that 140 horse galloping again. Wont have it chicken out on me again as it did at Bloemhof the otherday.

Tell me Fanie, are you going to the "Kurper Bonanza" at Loskopdam on the 28th March. Perhaps I will see you there? Im already starting to stock up on earth worms to be chopped and cut into small pieces on the morning of the catch and be mixed into the maroek and spread around the boat. Tell you, gonna hurt that fish and I am going for that 50 grand cash for new record kurper. The boat is also not to bad price to win:D

6. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Those waves are bouncing of walls . That does not mean they are 21 meters high.

Sigh,--- we had all that in the tsunami which was 4 feet high, I saw it and was in it.

7. masalai

masalai masalai

BUT did you catch some good fish ? - seems the boat was OK, did Manie have to carry that lead jacket as extra ballast for the anticipated strong winds....

8. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Those are the typical little waves Bloemhof has. Unlike you guys Wynand, we didn't just stay for the storm and left when it did :D That was by no means the waves it can cook up, but Bloemhof has waves breaking on the shoreline like the sea.

12 to 15kg is supposed to be the average size for Bloemhof. Our trip there, a big brood must have hatched because we cought hordes of little 6kg ones. Very boring to say the least.
    Up the left past the Vet river, there's a big sloop with trees both sides in the water, birds nesting in them.

Wynand, I fish only lures. Pap, mealie bombs and pips, worms, frogs, floaties etc. are for guys who is not there for the fishing... I drink at home. When you get frustrated enough, let me know and we'll go fish somewhere together. Bloemhof may be a good idea.

I doubt it.

See, making the same mistake over and over

Maroek is supposed to be illegal. It makes the Blues drunk and they eat anything indiscreetly. The real damages is not the quantities that gets caught that way, the ones that does get away and that got drunk on the maroek, doesn't breed that season... maybe even for longer.

Harties used to have massive schools of blues... some half the size of a rugby field. Maroek was the reason and of course trucks with fridges full of blues.

9. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Nice waves Guillermo !! Really impressive. Your own fault you had to stay in. You could have gone out earlier an just stayed away from the shoreline :D

10. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Hi Mas, I like your thinking :D but we were there only a few hours. No fishing rods, sorry for the disappointment.

Manie's weight made sure we were steady as a rock. If we made 10 deg it would have been a lot :D

11. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

You mean on it Frosty.

Now, did Noa happen to be an amateur boat builder who happened to like animals a LOT when their tsunami occured or what :D

12. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Oh sorry I forgot to mention Wynand. Those barbel are really common to catch. It's not unusual to catch 50 + in a day. The one I'm after is 30kg+. Saw one a few times I was there, but they high tail it out of fear when I come near :D Fish tremble at the sound of my name :D

Women want me
    Fish fear me.
    What can I say ?
    Life is hard eh :D

13. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Sure I was in tsunami. 2 of the 3 marinas were wiped out like a toilet bowl,-- boats even behind the fuel dock,--dont know how the hell they got there.

A village was removed to across the road.

I was ok, I was in the 3rd Marina that had a sea wall as protection which meant the surges could go throw. Ok a bit of rope creaking and jostling but I tell yer if I had been in bed I might not have noticed it.

The panic was unbeleivable as we knew it was coming from the other marinas phone calls, we had 3 minutes, what could I do in 3 minutes.

12 ropes, satalite dish cable ,power cable, dirty props?? I had to stay.

All that happened really was a 4 foot wave coming up the harbour at about 4 feet high, They asked me to look over the wall from my bridge( mostly yachts) and I saw it coming. The 4 foot wave was not a wave but more like a new level of water, it had no end to it,-- well about 1 Km behind it

4 high and low tides in as many hours. I was concerened the marina construction might go higher than the pilings. We were not right in its path as Phuket was.

One of the marinas just spit all the boats out into the sea. Some still tied to the dock. The entire marina was totally destroyed in a minute. They were going out 4 /5 miles to retrieve drifting yachts.

14. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

Frosty, glad to here all went OK with you during those times and that you did not lose that special tool. We may have to give those to a member or two of the forum if the economic downturn affects them mentally to much. I am sure it would cheer up even the severe dispressed. Personally, I have only lost the excess obove basic needs so have a roof, food, and clothes and a set of plans I hope to post in a couple 3 weeks.

15. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

I am beaching the boat in a few hours, satalite dish disconnected ,props bags removed, engines Ok and started, errrm is that It? its nearly a year that I took it out. Oh yes the 240V supply,--nearly forgot that last time.

I want to change a skin fitting that I dont like the look of. Ille not be able to get back to my berth at 1 AM with tide and in the dark (responsable boating)

I keep having to go for a pee ,--why is it so nerve wracking,--Im fed up of this I think Ille buy a bungalow instead.

Blue sky, sparkling seas, 10 Kts NE,--yes I am a whimp.

Good job I got the special tool to help me in these times.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.