What have you done this weekend...?

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Wynand N, Jul 6, 2008.

1. StianM

StianM Senior Member

Once again I have tried my luck on hunting deer, but I did not see them all weekend so I turned my attention to the crows that are eating the grouse chickens, but for some reason they have disparaged asweel even it was 20 of them out on the field befour I made the bold desition to kill them all.

Maybe I take the boat to see if I can blow the brain out on some American Mink witch don't belong here (imported for the nice hair) and have been escaping from farms causing damage to the local wild life.

I must sound like a poor soul only spanding my weekends drinking beer and shooting at everything that moves.

2. Wynand N

Wynand N Retired Steelboatbuilder

you must get a decent translator Mas, this one talks Greek to us Saffas:D ... only the "riffak" makes a lot of senseless sense:D :D

3. Butch .H

Butch .H Senior Member

4. masalai

masalai masalai

Oh it has been spell-checked and it passes with no red underlines.... and it is in inglise

5. nordvindcrew

nordvindcrew Senior Member

claustrophobic

went crazy getting a coat of paint under the bow and stern decks of my new rowing boat ( poor planning, not getting the hull painted before the decks went on ). Got one more coat of paint on the outside of the hull, and spent a lot of time just looking and thinking trying to come up with a neat and strong way to put the oarlock mounts on. Behind schedule? only a bit. I had crazy ideas it would be on the water in early July.

6. masalai

masalai masalai

nordvindcrew, Well done, at least half a year ahead of schedule! :D:D:D:D

7. KnottyBuoyz

KnottyBuoyz Provocateur & Raconteur

We got him! No not Bin Laden

For the last 3-1/2 months we've been trying to catch our cat that jumped ship on our summer Rideau Canal Cruise. Well needless to say it's been quite an oddysey. The trip to the place he's been hiding is about 120 miles round trip. It was getting expensive, gas, food, traps, etc. so just last weekend we decided to give up. Then Tuesday we get an e-mail from some people who've been feeding him. Knowing exactly where he is we decided to give it one more shot.

We were there for less than 5 minutes this morning. He was right where they told us he would be. When we got there we could see him about 30 yrs away crying. We set up the pet-taxi trap and he worked his way to it right away. Our hearts were beating I thought it'd pop right out of my chest and our knees were shaking. He went right into the pet-taxi and sort of sniffed the tuna-bait and then backed out. We were waiting for him to get fully inside. He's a smart bugger, he circled the trap looking for another way to get the food then his belly took over and in he went. As soon as his hind quarters were in we pulled the door shut! He was a bit upset let me tell ya!

We're just glad he's home. He's a lil' dirty, lil' wet and a lotta scared.

[​IMG]

He's switched immediately back into his "at home" self. We're just happy we got all our crew back. :)

[​IMG]

8. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

Finally back at it after 4 weeks, where my job has seriously interfered with my boat building :D

great feeling to sit here and type after a very hectic weekend - i definately got 24 hours of boat building in Fri,Sat & Sun. Every bone in my body hurts, must get fit :D

I have basically got 4 weeks of work left before the annual builders shutdown for the December holidays. Realising that my MiniCAT5 wont be ready i opted for a little dinghy because it is unthinkable that i will sit without a boat during the holidays :idea:

Jokes aside - the main reason why i need a dinghy is because i have decided to get a swing mooring for my MiniCAT5. I dont really want to build a trailer and i prefer having the boat ready and rigged so that i can go and sail any time, couple of beers and of i go, no farting around.

The other reason why i am building this dinghy is because i am experimenting with finishing and painting techniques. I have always had the greatest admiration for the Italian boat builders with there shiny wood finishes so here i am giving it a go, this little baby will be varnished and stored indoors. :cool:

I know Fanie is going to divorce me when he sees me in this dinghy - but a man has got to do what he has to do :D

Anyway i am REALLY REALLY REALLY looking forward to the launching of Wynands Lightening6 - hope to see all of you guys there, please try and make it.

here are a couple of pics of this weekends blood sweat and tears and the 2 damn engines i have to recon tomorrow
    you will also see pics of little tests i am doing to check the wood and epoxies, I am also making my own wooden oars for my "Wooden Boat"

with a lot of elbows grease i will attempt to get shiny wood:D

Attached Files:

• 7a.jpg
      7a.jpg
      File size:
      16.9 KB
      Views:
    • 7.jpg
      7.jpg
      File size:
      362.9 KB
      Views:
    • 8.jpg
      8.jpg
      File size:
      387.4 KB
      Views:
    • 9.jpg
      9.jpg
      File size:
      374.3 KB
      Views:
    • 10.jpg
      10.jpg
      File size:
      380.4 KB
      Views:
    • 11.jpg
      11.jpg
      File size:
      433.6 KB
      Views:
    • 12.jpg
      12.jpg
      File size:
      337.1 KB
      Views:
    • 13.jpg
      13.jpg
      File size:
      359.2 KB
      Views:
    • 14.jpg
      14.jpg
      File size:
      404.2 KB
      Views:
  9. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

I got to throw my toys out of the box :(

10. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

Fanie is shaking his head - why a bloody dinghy - why why why :D :D :D :D :D

anyway i forgot to post the drawings
    i went to a lot of trouble for my silly toy

model hull in delftship - export to CAD and then work around that

i am going to call her "THERAPY" = some of you may understand :D :D :D

i hate Sunday evenings because i have a stupid rule - no Whiskey - **** i better rethink my strategies :D :D :D

Attached Files:

11. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Manie, for a few bucks you can buy a lilo which is larger when inflated, safer on the water, and is less embarrasing.

12. masalai

masalai masalai

And kiss the butterfly tattoo for me..... but avoid the bling attached to the naval as furballs are dangerous....

My real-estate agent made another rental offer - market above 550 is dead.... 675000 is my objective / need.... "Office with a view", had lawns mowed, I cleaned windows, swept and vacuum cleaned laundry and ironing done - quite a domestic butler?

13. Sean Herron

Sean Herron Senior Member

14. Sean Herron

Sean Herron Senior Member

15. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

sanding and sanding and sanding

oh and before i forget - sanding :(

i am really glad that i am doing this little dory project of mine with a top class finish, firstly to be able to say that i actually did it, and secondly to cure me of the desire to have varnished finishes. Jeez its a **** load of work - flippen never ending. My MiniCAT5 will be painted white top to bottom - fancy finishes are for the big boys :D

my second hull is ready to come out of the jig this week - bloody marvelous

now both hulls go upside down for glassing and painting
    things are looking a bit better at the moment and it seems like you can "see" progress on the boat :D

how are the other SAFFAS going along - just curious :?:
    everybody told the missus jet that we are launching Wynands boat 30 Jan 09 - better tell the boss now you are going to the dam - come hell or high water ;)

Attached Files:

• 21.jpg
      21.jpg
      File size:
      219.8 KB
      Views:
    • 22.jpg
      22.jpg
      File size:
      216.5 KB
      Views:
    • 23.jpg
      23.jpg
      File size:
      196.3 KB
      Views:
    • 24.jpg
      24.jpg
      File size:
      219.8 KB
      Views:
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.