What floats your boat.

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by tom kane, May 6, 2015.

1. tom kane

tom kane Senior Member

If you think the information on teachengineering website is not correct show us where it is wrong.

2. tom kane

tom kane Senior Member

Are you afraid of being proved wrong?..it does not worry me I would just be learning something.

3. tom kane

tom kane Senior Member

Three men in a flat bottom bucket will not float.Every one knows that a big fat bottom is best.

4. yofish

yofish Previous Member

I think you have gone on the fritz and need deprogramming! Too much time inside the intertubes for you. But one last shot here; how's about you draw up whatever the hell it is you or teachengineering are talking about?

5. myark

myark Senior Member

Can you tell me why it has good speed with low HP if every one knows ?

6. tom kane

tom kane Senior Member

It is all about buoyancy available and area of contact with water...
    Like air pressure water pressure acts from all directions.
    Try flying a small hot air balloon..see how much it lifts..then fly a big balloon.

7. FMS

FMS Senior Member

Please be more specific by what you mean by "area" here.

The hull on the right has more surface area and a greater draft at rest.

Attached Files:

8. tom kane

tom kane Senior Member

w

Big boys can think for themselves www.teachengineering.org
    Find What floats your boat.

9. tom kane

tom kane Senior Member

w

If you refer to www.teachengineering.org what floats your boat you can work it out for yourself..hopefully.

10. tom kane

tom kane Senior Member

w

The last sentence is my idea, thank`s The rest is information from
    www.teachengineering.org

I am pretty confident that is is basically correct..mostly. Some info is misleading.

11. FMS

FMS Senior Member

My assumption is the way that site has used the term "area" has resulted in you drawing an erroneous conclusion that can be easily disproved with a wood block model. Or I do not know what you are talking about. Could you post one sketch of a non-flat bottom hull that will have less draft than a flat bottom hull with the same weight, length, and beam?

12. yofish

yofish Previous Member

That's it, you've fooled me three times now. The moderators shut down threads for the wrong reasons, now they have a chance to do it for the right one -MAGNUM TROLLING.

13. viking north

viking north VINLAND

Mmm, My float boats just great, especially so when hauling 1000lb. mooring anchors. :D

14. FMS

FMS Senior Member

A big balloon lifts more than a small balloon because it has a larger volume of hot lower density air.

Changing to a long skinny twisted balloon to increase surface area while maintaining the same volume of hot air or helium inside wouldn't lift any more weight than a round balloon.

15. FMS

FMS Senior Member

Here is the quote from the site you refer to:
    I do not agree with the logic or specifically the vague way it is stated which leads to confusion.

For you, I took two blocks of 2x4 and used clear tape to demonstrate. This does not support that site's conclusion the way it is stated. Side-by-side the two blocks of wood displace an equivalent volume of water as the one-on-top-of-the-other configuration. The side-by-side configuration doesn't float "right at the surface of the water". It floats higher in the water because the area parallel to the water surface is greater so the depth is less to achieve the equal displacement of water. What is demonstrated is only equal water displacement with two different shapes.

This supports a flat hull having a lower draft at rest than a v or other shape hull given equal beam, length, and weight, the conventional wisdom. There is nothing in that which supports a v hull having a lesser draft at rest.

Now will you take an equal amount of time and show us a quick model or sketch that demonstrates what you are saying?

Attached Files:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.