What floats your boat.

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by tom kane, May 6, 2015.

1. tom kane

tom kane Senior Member

One of the most worrying problems of boating and camping in remote places was having to leave our vehicle unattended and we often wished we could take our vehicle with us
    and cross a Harbor and join a road there and continue exploring further.

Traveling down the west coast of New Zealand on the coastal roads and crossing the Harbors along the way would be a grand holiday trip.

2. myark

myark Senior Member

This is a picture of my towing vehicle and 16' caravan on the deck of the Myark folding trailer barge during the river flooding when I was rescuing animals stranded on river islands over some days.

The picture is at Mercer which was when we met a couple of years beforehand and you asked if you could store your trailer in the two story large building I was living at on the rivers edge to keep it safe while you stayed the weekend further down the river camping on your boat.

I also lived further down the river with Flash my dog where it was more remote and slept in the old river huts normally used at duck shooting seasons and white bait seasons.

I would take my car on top of the smaller Myark trailer barge as this way not only I had my boat, I had my trailer and towing vehicle safe from thief's which are many in NZ.

Attached Files:

3. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

"tea leaves" are bad there ? Can't be the convict "gene" many blame here, then !

4. myark

myark Senior Member

New Zealand wide, the problem of hire cars, campervans and motor homes being broken into has been described as an epidemic. In the year to last June, more than 53,000 people reported having something stolen from their vehicle.

5. tom kane

tom kane Senior Member

A great way to explore with all the comforts at hand,just my style myark and I spent many happy trips at Port Waikato NZ sometimes staying at the port itself in a house called Morton Bay.
    The wild life was amazing and so were the people in particular chaps by the name of Colin an eel fisherman, and Ned Kelly who had a lovely batch in the estuary and invited us to stay,I could write a book.He would never let me take his photo.Wonderful place.

SamSam was right about finding a boat like my customer wants in America with whitepointer`s help so the design can not be to wacky.It will need some changes to make it more comfortable and convenient for camping and a little water skiing. An outboard would not cope or be easy to handle in some of the water conditions.The draft is 10 inches.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 23, 2015
  6. tom kane

tom kane Senior Member

Superstructure suggestions welcomed so we can get on to the interesting power options.
    Perhaps a multi fuel motor driving two reversible electric motors connected to two retractable shaft drives so we can steer without the need for rudders saving drag and increasing maneuverability.
    The sleeping arrangements need sorting also.

7. myark

myark Senior Member

This is a more clearer picture of the Myark folding trailer barge on its first launching to show the power of buoyancy, the deck is made from 4mm aluminium tread plate that has a 13 tone digger driven on top that did not damage deck what so ever and floats in a foot of water.

Attached Files:

8. myark

myark Senior Member

Video from the first trip as Guinness Book of World Records holders get ready for the next voyage all the way across the Atlantic Ocean

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBxTsHt5324

21' flat boat runs in a few inches water

1 person likes this.
  9. tom kane

tom kane Senior Member

Good video.Buoyancy and dynamic lift floats that boat,but what happens when you have to stop or go slow?
    CAM.A.Propulsion Pivotal Drive can cope with that.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 21, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  10. myark

myark Senior Member

Then you would use a simple Myark self trailer barge design that floats in a couple of inches of water, and to take the cake even further then place the Tom Kane pivotal drive propulsions system as the 8.5 m Myark self trailer barge has 2 X 25hp outboards attached in the picture planning at 30mph so an inboard motor of 50hp is the size of a Harley Davidson motor with a belt drive to the pivotal drive system would preform well and sound great.

Attached Files:

11. tom kane

tom kane Senior Member

Is this really a shallow draft boat?
    Or just shallow draft sometimes at speed using dynamic lift.

Attached Files:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.