Mold Waxing

Discussion in 'Materials' started by Agewon, Aug 4, 2007.

1. Agewon

Agewon Junior Member

I have begun to wax my mold and have discovered that i really dont know how to properly apply the wax. Using Mguires mirror glaze and a 6" RO polisher, how do I;

1. know how much to apply?
    2. Know when to remove haze?
    3. Know when to stop working in the wax?

I am waxing a melamine mold and was told that i really don't need a heavy build of wax since melamine releases easy, but i would like to do it the proper way. Any Tips?

2. JRL

JRL Im with stupid

If it were me:

I wouldnt use a machine to apply or remove wax. It is possible to buff the wax off completely.

Use a minimum of 4 coats of wax. Wait 10 minutes between applications/buffing. Wax/buff by hand in a circular motion. If I remember correctly Meguires products buff easily.

When I use melamine I seal it with semi permanant release 3 times. Then wax. Parts fly off.

3. Agewon

Agewon Junior Member

What do you mean by "semi permanent release"? I sanded all the dimples out of the melamine and finished with 1000 grit and it seemed pretty slick. Now, with 5 coats of wax, it's incredible. However, like you said, how do i know how much build i have?

4. JRL

JRL Im with stupid

How much build you have? Tape test it. Put a piece of tape on your mould. If it pulls away very easy, it should be ready to go. If it sticks, you have some more waxing to do.

Semi permanant mould release is basically liquid PTFE (teflon). Once your mould is broken in with it, you can pull up to 20 or 30 times with out another application. I personally use it because its stupid proof. Wax, if you give it to the wrong person, you will regret it. Frekote is very popular. I use Related Technology's version "single coat" and "hp 123". Their in Orlando, FL.

Another option for a quick and easy mould is a pane of tempered glass. I epoxy (DP 100) mine to an oversized piece of MDF just incase I drop it or bump it around. No problems pulling 26" of vacuum on it either. The high gloss finish is unbeatable.

5. Agewon

Agewon Junior Member

Thanks a ton. I'll have to try the tape test when i go home. Thanks again.

6. Agewon

Agewon Junior Member

"Wax, if you give it to the wrong person, you will regret it. "

Thats me!!

I still am unsure of what i am doing. With a car, its easy to see your results.

Where i am now;
    I have applied approx. 6 coats of Meguiars #8 following the directions- Wipe off before dry- with around 15 minuts between coats, and am still unsure of the build. I tried the tape test and the tape came off but not easy enough.

How long between coats?

I am going to be a basket case if this doesn't release. I think i will use PVA as a true "Stupid Proof" release. Only problem is, i am using a skim coat of thickend epoxy as the gel coat. please, any advice for the lamen?

7. JRL

JRL Im with stupid

If your unsure of your wax build up you can always test a small portion near one of the corners of the board.

Just be really neat with the test panel. You wont want to clean a bunch of dripped resin off of your mould.

At 6 coats, my guess is that its pretty slick. My work tables top is made of melamine. I can clean it with acetone, and apply one coat of wax to it, and resin/bondo pops off no problem. Although thats with the sealed factory surface.

Epoxy works fine with PVA. You should be able to brush it on with no problem. A chip brush works perfect.

Also keep in mind that your board has 1000 grit scratches in it. Its not much, but its still gives the tape a little extra surface area to grab on to.

8. Agewon

Agewon Junior Member

Just an update, i added two more coats of wax, allowing them to dry giving the finger smudge test before wiping. Then applied a fine mist of PVA before layup. The part poped easily. Thanks to all for the help.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.