new keel design

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by rob8, Dec 29, 2013.

1. rob8

rob8 New Member

I have a new catamaran keel design based on my extensive experience in another field of water sports. I'm looking for an experienced sailor to help demonstrate it's potential in the Brisbane Australia area.

It is a new and unique design with potential for high speed and VMG.

2. upchurchmr

upchurchmr Senior Member

Do you really mean a keel?
    Not a centerboard or a daggerboard?

3. rob8

rob8 New Member

Yes, technically I think its a keel. This hull does not use a CB or daggerboard.

4. rob8

rob8 New Member

This new catamaran hull/keel shape is unique below the waterline. Above the waterline, it can be any designer’s imagination. It can be adapted to cruising and racing cats, even power cats with design modification. The design objectives are high speed, excellent VMG and good sea manners.
    I’ve been working on this project for 5 years, mostly with scaled models, and the most difficult part has been to find someone to take me seriously enough to understand the concept and the way the principles have been applied to this particular design. I’m not a sailor and have applied principles gained through experience in another field of water sports and now need help with the prototype stage – a beach cat. I chose a beach cat to prove the hull/keel shape because of its obvious cost effectiveness.
    The round hull wave piercing shape is a very refined low power/speed efficient design and the designers have done well to make improvements to get it to this stage of its peak performance but which are now incremental at best and why they are turning to foils. My hull shapes is an alternative with good sea manners.
    Any experienced cat sailors willing to help in the Brisbane, Australia area?

5. upchurchmr

upchurchmr Senior Member

I'm along way from Brisbane, but I wouldn't touch it without more information.
    Boats are expensive.
    You are offering what we call here a "Pig in a poke"

6. kapnD

kapnD Senior Member

Beach cats are so named as they are designed to be run onto/off of the beach, so keels are not an option.
    They are equipped with retractable gear, or the hulls are designed in such a way as to operate without keels.
    Fins used on surfboards, sailboards, water skis, etc are best described as pivot points to improve turning abilities, not the best charachteristic to have on a sailboat where the goal is to hold a straight course into the wind.
    You would do well to get some practical sailing experience under your belt before you try to re-engineer something that has obviously been quite well hashed over already.

7. rob8

rob8 New Member

I wouldn't describe what I'm doing with my design as 're-hashing', to the contrary, I think I have something new and unique. The fact that I'm not a sailor has allowed me the insight to come up with this hull design. Is there nothing new under the sun? Wait and see.