Woodson dual cathedral 18

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by trishptw, Apr 29, 2013.

1. trishptw

trishptw Junior Member

Hi everyone,
    I just got a Woodson this weekend from the original owner. She is in great shape. Se has all original parts including the Johnson Super sea horse 90 HP engine (which I have the owners manual for) but I do did get any paperwork for the boat. I have been told it is a 1964 but can't find anything on line for the year make or model. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!
    Thank you,
    Trish

2. 805gregg

805gregg Junior Member

Didn't happen without pics

3. bajansailor

bajansailor Marine Surveyor

Hello Trish,

Woodson speedboats were built in Barbados (in the Caribbean) in the 1960's, with most of the production being exported to North America, although some of them were sold locally here.
    My parents had a little 9' 'Bajan Babe' boat with a glass box in the bottom when I was a wee kid in the 60's, and later on, some friends acquired an 18' Woodson with a cathedral hull - she had a small cuddy cabin, and an inboard Volvo petrol engine with an outdrive leg.
    There was also the option of having an 'open' 18' 'bow rider' version - I am guessing that you have one of these?

I used to have a catalogue for these Woodsons - if I can find it tomorrow, I shall scan it and post it on here.

BlueBell likes this.
  4. bajansailor

Hello again,

I found the catalogue ok, and have scanned it and attached copies here via Photobucket.
    I did used to have a sheet showing the cabin version of the 18 footer, but I think I gave that away many years ago to the pals who owned one at the time.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here are 2 versions of the smaller 15' tri-cathedral hull :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And here is a price list from 1968 for the range of Woodson boats :

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 2, 2013
    BlueBell likes this.
  5. trishptw

trishptw Junior Member

Thank you!!! Thank you!! Thank you!!! This is my boat!! I love it!! I am going to try starting her today and will take pictures to post. I really appreciate your help!! :)

bajansailor and BlueBell like this.
  6. bajansailor

Hello Trish,
    I guess there are not too many old Woodsons around, even in the USA now - I have only seen a few here.
    I am glad that the catalogue above is useful!
    Please do post some photos of your boat on here (I use www.photobucket.com and then click on the 'IMG' link to post the photo here) - I (and I am sure everybody else) would be most interested in seeing them.

BlueBell likes this.
  7. trishptw

trishptw Junior Member

Pictures of the Woodson

New Pictures

Attached Files:

8. trishptw

trishptw Junior Member

Pictures

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  9. bajansailor

Hello Trish,
    Thank you for posting these photos - they bring back happy memories of the late 60's / early 70's messing about in various Woodson boats here.
    Have you got any more photos, eg of the boat in the water (and have you tested the motor?)?

10. BMcF

BMcF Senior Member

How did I miss this thread?

I'm a big fan of Woodsons and currently own two of them, both 18' Cathedrals; one a 1964 and the other a 1968. The '64 was literally identical to the one Trish posted here. I say "was" because I converted it to be a center console boat and its also been repainted, losing the aqua blue.

11. bajansailor

BMcF, could you perhaps post some photos of your Woodsons on here please?

12. BMcF

BMcF Senior Member

I have this recent one of the '68 that I took just the other day after hanging the new engine.

Attached Files:

13. pasogrande

pasogrande New Member

1969 Thunderbird turns out to be a Woodson Wayfarer

This is a very interesting site. I have a boat registered as a 1969 Thunderbird, but actually sold to me as a Woodson. I put it for sale, and a very knowledgeable person came to see it and told me that it is in fact a Woodson Wayfarer. It is a 22 feet long cathedral hull, with a walk-through cuddy. He explained that this particular model was only made for one year, 1969.

I am not sure how it was originally powered. Mine has a marine Ford 302 engine (coincidentally similar to Ford Thunderbirds!) with a Volvo Penta outdrive. I have never seen another like it, nor even a picture, until he came to see it.

14. trishptw

trishptw Junior Member

BMcF
    I would love to see some photos of your 1964 Woodson!! I just saw your post for the first time tonight. I plan on restoring my boat this spring and would appreciate any help I can get. This boat got put on a back burner after Sandy.
    Thank you!!

15. bajansailor

Hello Trish - here are a few photos I took a while ago of an 18' Woodson here in Barbados (and I forgot to post them, until your prompt arrived in my mailbox just now).

Attached Files:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.