What do you think of this boat

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Portager, Aug 19, 2002.

1. Portager

Portager Senior Member

I found a boat that appears to meets my interim boat requirements, i.e. trailerable, less than 4,500 lbs including trailer, cuddy cabin, head, capable of limited coastal cruising in good weather and preferable diesel.

This is the first boat I have found that meets these requirements and my price range, although it is a little small and I think it is overpriced. O, it is also ugly!

It is a 17' Davidson Cruiser built on a converted lifeboat.

http://www.yachtworld.com/listing/yw_listing_detail.jsp?checked_boats=984339&currency=USD&units=Feet

I would appreciate any opinions or advice anyone might have and also what you think it is really worth.

Thanks;
    Mike Schooley

2. Willallison

Willallison Senior Member

I know you have somewhat of a penchant for ugly :D so I was expecting something pretty bad - but I have to say that I actually think (as far as looks go) that its ok - in a cutesy sort of way.

Few things I don't like much though -

Don't like wc's located between the v-berth. What happens in the middle of the night when the wife needs to pee?

Motor looks ok - everything around it looks pretty messy though - may not bode well for all the bits you can't see

The timber and glass work (inside) don't look too well finshed and everything generally looks a little tired - so I would have thought that it pretty dear at US 5K - about AUD 5K is about all it would fetch here in Oz.

Built from a life boat so ultimate stability should be good, though with gently rounded bilges and probably not much lead under I reckon she'd be pretty tender.

Me, I'd go for something a little quicker, probably with an o/b......:D he, he, he.....

3. Portager

Portager Senior Member

Thanks Will, all good points and about the same as my thinking, except for the o/b and speed. :)

I won't share that comment with the Admirable, don't want you to suffer the hex of the kitting needles.

I'm thinking a coat of paint might help. Change the beige to anything!

I agree, but in a boat this size your lucky to get a head and I don't know where it would be if not between the v-berth. I figured I rig a porta potty in the aft cockpit for middle of the night duties.

Yes, I'm thinking a new engine enclosure would be high on the upgrade list.

My thoughts also. She looks older than her 25 year age. I think your paying for a running diesel engine, the electric head and an antique o/b. Other than that it is almost worthless. I see they reduced the price June 28th. I figure in British Columbia by September they will be getting desperate and I might be able to steal it. :D It would be a bit of a drive, 1379 miles, but I was planning to go to Port Townsend Washington in September, so it is only 179 miles out of the way.

Not sure how tender she would be but roll stability is suspect. She will probable roll like a fat pig in a mud puddle, especially at anchor. I think she would look pretty salty with outriggers for paravanes though. :D Not sure where I'd put the dinghy either. I am also concerned about seats in the pilothouse (if you could call it that). There doesn't appear to be any and there might not be enough room to add them.

but she has an o/b :D

Cheers;
    Mike Schooley

4. Willallison

Willallison Senior Member

LOL!
    That's not an outboard - it's an egg-beater!:D

Does it come with trailer - if not you'll have to add the cost of that plus the hassle of trying to organise one long distance....