What do you think about this?!!!

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by Andy, Jan 12, 2006.

1. Andy

Andy Senior Member

Whoa!!! Did anyone see this on the Sailing Anarchy site? http://www.out95.com/welcome1.html

Cant seem to download some pictures to put here, so you'll have to follow the link...looks pretty mental though! :cool:

2. Windvang

Windvang Yacht Designer

Yes you can, more or less the same way as SA forum.

Attached Files:

3. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Guest

Trimaran?

Interesting after the recent discusion on Langman and Bethwaite's Maxi Skiffs. In their case the argument for them being considered monohulls was that the buoyancy pods weren't used to sail "on". In this case from the above picture it is apparent that the hull extension IS touching the water and, apparently used as a hull.. That would make it a very inefficient trimaran, I guess...

4. K4s

K4s Junior Member

Its just dumb,not one thing or the other,brain fart me thinks

5. usa2

usa2 Senior Member

jesus bloody christ when are certain monohull sailors going to accept the fact that multi's are plain faster and stop trying to make these stupid "hybrid" vessels. Why dont they make monohulls that are fast compared to other monohulls, rather than trying to make a trimaran that rates as a fast monohull but in reality is a slow trimaran?

P.S. I hate multihulls, but this is getting too stupid.

6. seadogs20

seadogs20 Junior Member

Why????????

7. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Guest

Trimaran

It can't be a hybrid if it's a trimaran. A hybrid is a monohull or monohull with just two foils. It sails only on the one hull or two foils. It's a "hybrid" because to some it LOOKS like a trimaran.
    edit:- Sounds about right anyway.....

8. seadogs20

seadogs20 Junior Member

No I meant WHY, would you bother

9. usa2

usa2 Senior Member

because they want to go fast but still claim they sail monohulls.

10. SuperPiper

SuperPiper Men With Little Boats . .

In the why-would-you-sail-a-monohull-when-a-multi-is-so-much-faster debate, the biggest defence of monos is the fact that they are typically self-righting. I can't imagine that this hybrid would recover from a turtling.

So, are my kids likely to chainsaw my pocket cruiser when I bequeath it to them?

11. nero

nero Senior Member

I seen several photos of the wide, racing monos turned turtle.

However, it is great that people continue to try different things.

12. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

A single hulled boat with all the advantages of a multihull is any shallow draft boat that can sail on her ear and present a 12 to 1 L/B to the water.

The old sandbaggers of the 1900's were far above "hull speed" fast but suffered as cats do when flipped,

Bring on the CRAINE!

FAST FRED

13. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Guest

mono's

The mono's with wide racks would be self righting from- at least- a pitchpole and from a capsize if the buoyancy pods supported only a fraction of total displacement and in the Bethwaite case depending on the amount of sliding deck ballast(though that could be overcome by what buoyancy there is in the pods.
    This boat, on the other hand, would probably recover from a pitchpole and be very hard to capsize depending on the relationship of the buoyancy in the outboard portion of the wing to all up weight. But this thing SAILS like a trimaran OR else the picture was taken before they got the hang of sailing it properly. It COULDN'T be fast to sail with that "wing" in the water.
    My view of the hybrids is that if they are carefully designed they will offer the self righting capability of any keel boat with much greater speed than "normal" monohulls particularly if on deck sliding ballast is used.
    They also are the PERFECT platform for the use of bi-foil hydrofoils especially if the problem of the wetted surface of the hydrofoil in non foiling conditions can be solved either by retracting the foil(s) or by making the hull wetted surface so low that the foil wetted surface is less of a concern.
    I think these things are exciting design ideas and are a viable area for exploration: imagine multihull speeds with self rightng! That can't fail to excite anyone who has ever gone real fast on the water.

14. NiklasL

NiklasL Student member

Alf wannabe.

Perhaps they would benefit from support foils simular to the (also blue) Taig's ALF hydrofoil.

http://www.foils.org/design.htm

(1/3rd below on that page)

15. usa2

usa2 Senior Member

I bet a Hobie 16 is just as fast

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.