Statics Class or book?

Discussion in 'Education' started by S Hondros, Oct 20, 2004.

1. S Hondros

S Hondros Carolina Flare

I am trying to prepare myself a little before hopefully going to the landing school next year and wanted to ask if anyone new of a good statics text book that i could use to learn on my own or a course via the internet that i could use to help prepare. I realize that this is something easier taught in person that is why i am just trying to prepare myself. Thanks for any advice.

2. jehardiman

jehardiman Senior Member

J. L. Meriam's Engineering Mechanics;Statics and Dynamics (a 2 volume set) was the standard text several years ago. It is good because it introduced and used vector math and comes in english and SI versons. Otherwise Schaum's Outlines Statics and Strength of Materials is a cheap alternative overview, but Meriam explains it much better.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.