What Do We Think About Climate Change

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Pericles, Feb 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Boston

Boston Previous Member

money is the grease by which the wheels keep turning

2. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

www.thefreedictionary.com/money

mon·ey (mn)
    n. pl. mon·eys or mon·ies
    1. A medium that can be exchanged for goods and services and is used as a measure of their values on the market, including among its forms a commodity such as gold, an officially issued coin or note, or a deposit in a checking account or other readily liquefiable account.
    2. The official currency, coins, and negotiable paper notes issued by a government.
    3. Assets and property considered in terms of monetary value; wealth.
    a. Pecuniary profit or loss: He made money on the sale of his properties.
    b. One's salary; pay: It was a terrible job, but the money was good.
    5. An amount of cash or credit: raised the money for the new playground.
    6. Sums of money, especially of a specified nature. Often used in the plural: state tax moneys; monies set aside for research and development.
    7. A wealthy person, family, or group: to come from old money; to marry into money.
    Idioms:
    for (one's) money
    According to one's opinion, choice, or preference: For my money, it's not worth the trouble.
    in the money
    1. Slang Rich; affluent.
    2. Sports & Games Taking first, second, or third place in a contest on which a bet has been placed, such as a horserace.
    3. Something Hoyt don't got.
    on the money
    Exact; precise.
    put money on Sports & Games
    To place a bet on.
    put (one's) money where (one's) mouth is Slang
    To live up to one's words; act according to one's own advice.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Middle English moneie, from Old French, from Latin monta, mint, coinage, from Monta, epithet of Juno, temple of Juno of Rome where money was coined.]mon·ey (mn)

3. wardd

wardd Senior Member

so for the good of society should it be allowed to congeal in one place?

4. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

Company executives and boardroom directors are probably no more dishonest and greedy as a group than Congressmen and Senators are. But they aren't a bit better, either.

Whatever you may believe, they aren't part of some altruistic meritocracy -- earning their positions strictly because of their knowledge and experience rather than because of who they know, and administering their companies strictly for the good of the shareholder.

For an instructive case history, you might study the career of Neil Bush: as the son of one President and brother of another, he's been CEO or boardroom member in a long list of companies. He's been involved in Silverado Savings & Loan, Apex Energy, TransMedia Communications, InterLink, Telecom Holdings, Grace Semiconductor Management Company, Crest Investment, Ignite! Learning, so on and so forth, ad infinitum, ad nauseum...

I'd like to point out that the first three companies (in three separate fields) all went belly-up and left the shareholders and employees holding the bag, while Neil Bush walked away with his pockets full.

5. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

bla bla bla, except for the Neil Bush thing.

6. WickedGood

WickedGood Guest

This Damm Global Warming!
    Its all Al Gores Fault.

[​IMG]

7. Boston

Boston Previous Member

Rapid Global Climate Shift = hard times ahead

8. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

Bit of a change in subject here, for those who are firmly convinced California's budget troubles are due to liberals and unions:

Texas (which has been held up before us as a shining example of how conservatives do it right) is working on its semi-annual budget, and the latest projections are that the state will run up a $25 billion dollar deficit in the next two years.

That's worse than New York's deficit and in the same neighborhood as California's, although not quite as bad as New Jersey's.

How can that be? Just the other day Texas was being touted as a role model (and still is by commentators who haven’t been keeping up with the news). It was the state the recession supposedly passed by, thanks to its low taxes and business-friendly policies. Its governor boasted that its budget was in good shape thanks to his “tough conservative decisions.”

Oh, and at a time when there’s a full-court press on to demonize public-sector unions as the source of all our woes, Texas is nearly demon-free: less than 20 percent of public-sector workers there are covered by union contracts, compared with almost 75 percent in New York.

So what happened to the “Texas miracle” many people were talking about even a few months ago?

The truth is that the Texas state government has relied for years on smoke and mirrors to create the illusion of sound finances in the face of a serious “structural” budget deficit — that is, a deficit that persists even when the economy is doing well. When the recession struck, hitting revenue in Texas just as it did everywhere else, that illusion was bound to collapse.

The only thing that let Gov. Rick Perry get away, temporarily, with claims of a surplus was the fact that Texas enacts budgets only once every two years, and the last budget was put in place before the depth of the economic downturn was clear. Now the next budget must be passed — and Texas may have a $25 billion hole to fill. Now what?

Given the complete dominance of conservative ideology in Texas politics, tax increases are out of the question. So it has to be spending cuts.

Texas is already close to the bottom of the country in money spent per pupil for public education, and leads the nation in the number of people without health insurance. So where are they going to cut now?

This was abridged and paraphrased from the following column, for those who want to read the whole thing:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/07/opinion/07krugman.html

9. wardd

wardd Senior Member

2 conservative icons ireland and texas are both in trouble

do i hear anybody say tax the rich their share?

10. mark775

mark775 Guest

I came one day from getting to fish with Neil Bush - then he ditched me for... I forget why. Oh yeah, that savings and loan tthing came up. He's no longer there, right? Are you sure he came out smelling like a rose? Don't let envy get the better of you. Also, it is inflamatory and rude to paint businessmen in the same light as politicians.
    "no one has answered my question of what is money and why does it exist and what happens to an economy when a disproportionate percentage of it is allowed to accumulate in a very few hands."
    Pretty simple to look up, thanks, Hoyt. In short, it allows one man to barter with another man if the other man only has something a third man wants. Mix 'em all up and everybody goes home with what they want. You get it? Betty baker sells a loaf of bread to a Bobby butcher but doesn't eat meat (but sure likes the bone!). Rather than take a dead pig home then, in turn, barter that for a quart of hummus, she takes money to Hameed the hummus man who rushes to Bobby, discovers there is only animal protein forbade in verses 2:173, 5:3, 6:145, and 16:115. Hameed read from his Qur'an "He has only forbidden you dead meat, and blood, and the flesh of swine, and any (food) over which the name of other than Allah has been invoked." so he blows all three of them up. Allah ak..BOOM!
    Hmm, it didn't work in that example but you get the idea.
    With no gold or silver standard, money also allows your F'ing government to print more dollars so that they can spend more. This is perhaps the most critical function of money as we know it today.
    This vision you have about a few mizers hoarding their cash demonstrates a childlike view you have of the world, Double D. I'm sorry, but you'll never be capable of grasping an adult perspective if you havn't by now. You are a woman? Often that is the culprit - dolls and make-up and such do not prepare one for the man's world which includes alien subject matter like...reality. You are forgiven and certainly able to interject but please don't be offended and bear in mind that you are at a distinct disadvantage. Even very, very smart people (e.g., Barack Obama) when embracing their feminine side (usually because of confusion wrought of single parent upbringing or exposure to an influential liberal arts prof. at a young age) can F things up that have to do with the real world, the adult world.
    The following is an ad. The guy is trying to sell his book or whatever. But listen, just listen while you do something else. I'll bet you stop doing the other thing and concentrate on the words on the screen. If not, you are the type of one of those that will be running in circles screaming (I have actually only seen this twice in my life. It is disturbing and doesn't really get much accomplished. One stabbing victim, one car accident witness) or looting some guy's house because he left to the country to get away from you:
    http://www.stansberryresearch.com/pro/1011PSIENDVD/PPSILC41/PR
    If you ex out of it, then ex out of the "are you sure", you can just read the thing.

11. mark775

mark775 Guest

Jeez, Wad, you just dig yourself deeper. Texas is in far better shape to weather this than most. There is already a progressive tax system in place, whereby the more you make, the higher percentage of the more you make has to be paid. The top 10% pays something like 40% of the taxes. The net effect is that the bottom half of the US population pays no tax. Get it, ya knucklehead, that 50% are net drains on society?

12. wardd

wardd Senior Member

what planet do you live on?

the poor pay a far greater percentage of their money in taxes when you consider all taxes and not just cherry pick and buffet disagrees with you and i'm sure he knows a lot more about being rich and taxes on the rich than you do

13. mark775

mark775 Guest

Buffet is senile, and it is very easy for a ultra wealthy Gates or Buffet to say the rich should pay more taxes. They could give 90% away and still be rich!
    The poor pay a little tax (not if they are below the povety level of what $12,000? but realistically, $40,000 is poor in today's world) but they get it back in services! The bottom 50% are net drains on society, I repeat...and don't even get me into the intangables of having to look at their litter, broken cars, drugs, government programs that are not specifically directed at poor but the poor avail themselves to, broken countries because of politicians catering to them for the vote (seriously, I tell you this though you will not believe, "One cannot have more than say, a Fruit-Loop rattling around in that skull or, at most, a muffin and two wires, and still think like a liberal. The entire premise is just retarded or evil - take your pick."
    How do you buy anything that guy (Buffet) says when, wasn't he the one, pushes corn ethanol, windmills and ****?

14. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

Ummm... the whole point of my post was that Texas isn't in better shape to weather this recession than most states. It's basically in the same toilet California is in. As a matter of fact, it may be in worse shape, because its budgets had built-in deficits hidden in them even when times were good.

"Net drain on society"?!?

Even the most rabidly big government-loving liberals don't presume to judge a man's worth to society by how much he's worth to the IRS.

People who don't pay federal income taxes still pay sales taxes, and pay for all the hidden taxes that are built into everything they buy -- including the income tax paid by the store owners. They also pay property taxes (either directly, or with the rent their landlords collect).

The busboys and dishwashers at local restaurants usually don't make enough to file income tax returns. Are you claiming they're making no contribution to society when they provide you with clean dishes to eat from, and take them from the table when you're done? How about gardeners and yard boys? Are they a drain on society when they mow a lawn? How about convenience store clerks, who are behind the counter when you want a snack or some aspirin at midnight? Are they a drain on society, instead of a contributor?

I'd say the fact that so many working men and women in this country don't make enough to pay income tax is an indictment of the country's wage structure, not of its workers.

15. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

I should be so senile. Buffet's still finding ways to make money hand-over-fist, no matter which way the economy goes.

You're probably thinking of T. Boone Pickens when it comes to alternative energy; he's been a lot more visible in the field. But both of them have made substantial investments in it; they're willing to put their money where their mouth is. Considering the track records those two have, I wouldn't bet against them.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.