What Do We Think About Climate Change

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Pericles, Feb 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Boston

Boston Previous Member

ya I read that part
    I looked up a few articles and its pretty well documented. I think it was more likely than less that the war party simply went after the first white folks they saw and if she was a half breed like I am it wouldn't have made much difference. In the native way of thinking she chose her tribe and would suffer the same fate as they did.

2. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

Another ancestor of mine commanded a line of blockhouses in New England in the 1700's. By virtue of the fact that a native woman was living with him his home was spared when the Indians raided. http://helenesgenes.com/Dow.html

3. Boston

Boston Previous Member

my parents rarely spoke of our past. I know almost nothing of any family history other than that my mother was Cayuga. My grandmother occasionally spoke of our ancestry but my parents didn't exactly encourage it. We lived in an all white town and things were different back then. Its kinda hard to describe but I think my folks were trying to protect me from feeling out of place. Once I got into high-school I started asking more and more questions but as far as ancient family history goes I have none to speak of.

do you have more info on the raid you are referring to in your last

4. hoytedow

I will try to find it.

Okay, here it is.

Attached Files:

5. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

Never mind. I've plowed this field before, and obviously nothing sprouted; you're doing the same thing you did last time. Such as citing later, far-away instances of someone handing out smallpox blankets, as though it somehow proves the Pilgrim women did the same.

Let's get back to your original post. Yesterday, millions of families sat down to a turkey dinner with nothing more sinister in mind than counting their blessings, enjoying a good meal, and spending time together.

Some folks on this forum had the temerity to wish the membership a Happy Thanksgiving Day, and that was your cue. You came charging in to make it sound like Thanksgiving dinners are some sort of twisted victory feast, meant to celebrate the slaughter of American Indians.

You know what? Regardless of what Thanksgiving may mean to you, that isn't what it means to me and my family... or most of the other families in the country. Butt out and let us enjoy ourselves, OK?

6. hoytedow

You were a bit harsh here, as B and I were having a historical academic discussion sans anger as far as I know.

7. Boston

Boston Previous Member

ya I"m a bit baffled as to what the anger is all about. I simple stated my own feelings about the holiday and suggested that most people dont know much about the history of it all. Next thing I knew I was ducking for cover and hanging an upside down flag.

8. wardd

wardd Senior Member

ok, here's the down low , liberals think about climate change the r's don't believe in it so don't think about it at all

9. hoytedow

It is nonsense not worth contemplating except to deflate liberal airheads.

10. masrapido

masrapido Junior forever

Just do not be surprised tomorrow when they tell you that you do not exist and that all your savings have been transferred to a Bombay, or Moscow, or a Shanghai bank account...

:rolleyes:

11. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

Personally, I thought it was a bit 'harsh' of Boston to start raining on our Thanksgiving parade to begin with.:)

This is specifically what I was responding to; I suppose I should have quoted it, if I didn't:

I'm not ignorant of history; I'm not claiming 'all is peaches and cream.' But if Thanksgiving upsets Boston it's his problem, not mine. He needs to deal with it, preferably without trying to season my family's turkey with racial guilt.

I'd have been just as harsh if some black guy started talking about white guilt for slavery in the middle of my pumpkin pie; or if some Hispanic accused us of enjoying our Thanksgiving dinner on land stolen from his ancestors; or if some communist started carrying on about how the blessings we're celebrating are built on the blood and sweat of exploited workers all over the world.

Sometimes folks just need to give their favorite rants a bit of a rest, OK? ;)

12. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

And I'm not angry; I'm just mildly annoyed. :cool:

13. Boston

Boston Previous Member

Sounds like your level of understanding is limited to the confines of your own experience. I was merely attempting to broaden some horizons that might not necessarily include the views of various peoples from various cultural backgrounds. My German friends on another forum also celebrate a form of Thanksgiving but over there its not as big a deal as here http://german.about.com/cs/culture/a/erntedankf.htm and it's origins are not concurrent with one races subjugation of another. I was happy to wish them well and without regrets on there harvest celebration day. However here for many people of native american heritage the day represents more of an opportunity to educate than it is a day of celebration. If some are offended by that history, it is not the messenger that should feel uncomfortable concerning the contents of the lesson.

It is unfortunate that the public school system fails to teach an unbiased history as misunderstandings like this might be avoided.

cheers
    B

14. masrapido

masrapido Junior forever

Darn...just when I was going to immerse myself into a tirade on both accounts...

Lead the way guru, and I'll be there too...

:cool:

15. masrapido

masrapido Junior forever

So true. It would be laughable if it weren't scary how distorted are the views on history that many usanians acquire in their school time. And they believe it so strongly, it is impossible to discuss the facts with them.

As long as the facts are what they have been told, they will talk (preach and patronise mostly), but as soon as you offer an alternative view, "democracy", "tolerance" and all that ideological nonsense goes down the drain and disappears in the **** at the bottom of it. Only what usanians think is true, goes.

Typical wrong wing arrogance and unfounded belief that only they have the exclusivity on the truth. That trait seems to permeate throughout most of the local populus there, and it makes the distinction between the far wrong and the middle wrong even more blurry.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.