What Do We Think About Climate Change

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Pericles, Feb 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kay9

Kay9 1600T Master

Martians are using WAY too much oil. It why the pice is up to 110$ a barrel also.

K9

2. rambat

rambat Member at large

Population

Pericles why must you bait the fanatics? When I was young I was taught that the would was quickly becoming overpopulated, It was well established by university AND government experts, the debate was over. You and I should be wrestling shoulder to shoulder, on a glacier, with Chi-coms over scraps of soilent green by now!

If any power source more efficient or cheaper than fossil fuels come along it will be used in power hungry aircraft, and I don't see Boeing or Airbus offering hybrid wide bodies as of yet. They are incredible backlogged by more than a few sales to the middle east. You would think if the oil sheiks had their facts straight they would be investing in inland property. Instead they are building Islands, barely above sea level for decadent westerners flown in. I like the way they think.

All of this human hating pap always leads back to some "universal" dictation on our lives and lifestyles by an elite with no such controls. This elite would realize that being elected was sooo 19th century, and the debate would be over.

3. Sean Herron

Sean Herron Senior Member

Hold Your Breath And Stop Farting

Hello...

Stop exhaling and don't fart - that - and kite sails on super tankers - and Rambat on good weed - should sell more OREO's all around...

I want to finger paint with Rambat - and eat and share some Musilage paste - with him and all the first graders - I am imagining Veronica Zemanova in a pencil skirt...

Then I want to do a show and tell - before lunch naptime...

Ah - that could get weird...

Are you a complete juvenile romantic - that has no perspective on the various methods of industrial revolution (per inherent available fuels) that have taken place within the last 2000 years - and of the players and of the Families that rule same...

Broad and romantic ideas have already been argued - you are very late onto the scene...

Burps and farts need to be studied so we can establish an accurate percentage against some random or made up - scale - I believe this to be important...

Rambat - I imagine that you have origami instructions for a Popeye hat...

SH.

4. Pericles

Pericles Senior Member

Longliner,

A possible explanation.

In a paper published in the journal Nature, she suggests that such winds can stir up giant dust storms, trapping heat and raising the planet’s temperature.

Fenton’s team unearthed heat maps of the Martian surface from Nasa’s Viking mission in the 1970s and compared them with maps gathered more than two decades later by Mars Global Surveyor. They found there had been widespread changes, with some areas becoming darker.

When a surface darkens it absorbs more heat, eventually radiating that heat back to warm the thin Martian atmosphere: lighter surfaces have the opposite effect. The temperature differences between the two are thought to be stirring up more winds, and dust, creating a cycle that is warming the planet.

Pericles

5. Sean Herron

Yeah But...

Hello...

Them are big words - no doubt - but if I drop my Snickers while on my way to campus - am I a total loser...

Quit your jibber jabber and get some nuts - see http://youtube.com/watch?v=NySN_plfiNI ...

What a bunch of - ******* - I bet you row - and feel all good inside about same...

When a surface darkens it gets hot - hehe- no **** - that was Buck Rogers - hell - Buck Fuller - mid 60's - we all thank you for allowing us to wallow in your vast vat of common knowledge...

**** - that must have cost you one year in the USA establishment - before you were allowed to clean toilets for the NAVY....

Be very quiet - soon he will tell us how to rectify microwaves and how to fly surveillance hotdogs...

SH.

6. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

I like Sundays,---Sean spends more time with us.

7. longliner45

longliner45 Senior Member

sean ,,I was wondering>............can you sell me some of your pot???longliner

8. Richard Atkin

Richard Atkin atn_atkin@hotmail.com

longliner I didn't know that. Very interesting point. (referring to Mars heating up)

Walrus, there are many deformed newborn babies in China. This is because their mothers are malnourished, eating rice and almost nothing else.

when China and every other country becomes first world, there won't be any more starvation. Nobody starves in a first world country unless they want to, or there is a war. Machines and modern techniques make food production more efficient, housing more efficient etc etc.

We need to worry more about helping poor countries to get efficient, before we start getting freaked out about global warming.

quote: "thousands will die because of global warming / cooling don't know were don't know when but die they will!"

Probably mostly old people who are on the brink of death anyway. Every summer in Sydney, heaps of old people are found dead in their beds whenever there is a heat wave. They refuse to open their windows cos they are scared of burglars. They start to feel tired cos the air becomes thin in their house. They go to bed and pull the blankets over their body and quickly pass out and never wake up.
    They put campaigns on the radio to try to warn people about this, but it still happens over and over again. We should be more concerned about the deformed babies, cruelty to animals, Africans killing each other, chemical and nuclear weapons.....you know...worse stuff that's happening now.

Hang on....if the world is getting hotter....that means more waterspouts. It's easy to see a hurricane forming, so you can just avoid it. But waterspouts? Hmmmm. Those things will suck your boat in!! (all the wind travels towards the spout). Maybe global warming is important after all.

9. masalai

masalai masalai

Wow, if it can suck my boat off - Who needs Monica L.? - Let the storms come over me!!!! Oooops thought it must have been drivel thread?

10. Sean Herron

Evo...

Hello...

Fish - they stink and they are fast and thus hard for us homo sapien asses to catch - so god stuffed their asses into the waters...

But cows are big - stupid - and slow - and they taste good when put onto fire...

This picture seems obvious to me - stinky and fast - versus - dumb and delicious...

It is all about the fire...

So why am I working on a fish hauler...:)

SH.

11. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Sean,--have you met Richard.

Water spouts and old people dying because they wont open a window?

Yes fish are a lot different from cows, but you have to know where to look.

I think a lot of people die because they laugh so hard there head fell off and all the time they blamed it on global warming softening the neck skin.

I shall open my window tonight.

12. Pericles

Pericles Senior Member

Once again, I am here to bait the fanatics on the subject on icebreakers up the River Thames. I give you Chris Booker in the Sunday Telegraph who, in unambiguous terms, spells out the reversal in fortune for the gullible followers of fashion. I mean the believers in the fallacy of human powered global warming.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/opinion/main.jhtml?xml=/opinion/2008/02/24/do2402.xml

Apart from the incredible ***king waste of money that Albert Arnold "It's galling to be wrong" Gore Junior would have the world's richest nations spend, for me personally, the real issue is that when I am awarded the Nobel Peace Prize, its worth will have been so devalued, Ill be too ashamed to go and collect it. :D :D

Why the sodding hell people listened to the unctuous prick is beyond me. OTOH, Chris Booker has an explanation for that as well. Polifukinticians!

Up to 3,000 tonnes of fish have frozen to death in seas off Taiwan due to unseasonably cold weather. 23 Feb 20

http://search.bbc.co.uk/cgi-bin/search/results.pl?scope=all&edition=d&q=fish frozen in sea&go=Search

Fresh frozen fish anyone?

Pericles

13. rambat

rambat Member at large

Bucket list

Its Sunday and I am feeling a need for redemption, I asked for it when opening my previous comment by name calling. It would also seem that I am for the status quo, which I am not. Frosty is very right, who are we to believe? scientist or Taxi drivers (no slight intended). So here is my "Bucket List" that I am sure we can all find common ground on and perhaps allow me to remain a positive part of this forum,

Before I pass on, I would like to see:

1. A future of guilt free western civilized existence, whereby every gallon or KW required does not help support tyranny and oppression somewhere else.

2. That a respected group of scientist arise we can trust not to bias there findings for funding or political motives.

3. That alternative energies become more widespread, cleaner and even positive for our natural surroundings.

4. That if global warming does occur, the consequences be balanced for allowing much of the once frozen global acreage of tundra to become arable and reduce the energy used up to warm people and places now fridged.

One gentleman in NY is blazing the trail toward one solution without much backpedaling to our western way of life, this is a must see:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEdQRVQtffw

I have now been on the receiving end of Sean's vitriol but also glowing comments regarding my design postings. So I cannot say he is without taste. I hope to visit his island one day but know well to bring my own booze.

14. safewalrus

safewalrus Ancient Marriner

You can only improve food production so much - if you ain't got the raw material you can't do a damn thing! If you start with ten beans no matter how you mess with them you end up with ten beans, unless you destroy them.

I ain't getting paranoid about this, it's a statement of fact is all - I really don't give a damn, there ain't a lot I can do about it anyway!

Oh, and Ramit don't forget 'soylant green' is people! so every one you kill goes on the butchers slab; maybe you and dick could get together on this one and look after a few heathen chinee!!!!!!!;)

15. Richard Atkin

Richard Atkin atn_atkin@hotmail.com

Walrus....Chinese people are starting to import food now. Economics. The place is getting better, despite the temporary pollution.

My home town (Wellington) got hit by a huge waterspout a few days ago. It started at sea, as they do, and made it all the way to the beach and just veered away from land, just when everyone started to panic and run. Then it faded out. This is amazing for Wellington...infact, its amazing for NZ. Our climate is normally too stable to support tornadoes.

do I care? not really

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.