What Do We Think About Climate Change

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Pericles, Feb 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pericles

Pericles Senior Member

Masalai,

More importantly, does it show the results of the next Ice Age. The British Isles were populated by people who moved out of their refuge in Spain about 15000 years ago and walked up the extended coastline to Ireland? That was when the present Interglacial began.

http://books.google.com/books?id=tJkyAAAACAAJ&dq="Blood of the Isles"&ei=fbIKR9r0FqOOpwLs0YDTCA

There weren't so many people then. Where will 450 million Europeans go when the ice returns. Quietly into the dark? I do not think so. Not with their combined military might. The African continent will become Europe's Ice Age refuge and if the present 990 million inhabitants do not welcome the European forces?

http://www.usadaily.com/article.cfm?articleID=265816

2000 years before the big walk north to what became the British Isles, the people we call Solutreans lived in and around the same region.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solutrean

It is proposed that some Solutreans were perhaps minded to set off west along the edge of the Atlantic ice sheet, travelling in a manner similar to that which some of the Inuit can still do, thus arriving in North America.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solutrean_hypothesis

Volcanoes erupt and the ground shakes continuously all around the world and these events impact human life daily. It's self evident humans should be more concerned about another like this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toba_catastrophe_theory

Did you want to live forever?

kach22i, be careful what you wish for. "Roads will be useless, because they'll be flooded and muddy." Where will you drive your Porsche? :p :p :p

Regards to all,

Pericles

2. masalai

masalai masalai

Anyone who claims to predict when AND what AND where AND why is a flippinging liar &/or absolute fool, and to claim two or more cannot scientifically be relied upon. I am not a God (and therefore, I don't know) and nor I submit do they know.

All I have done is say IF this melts that is the resultant water level.... That is within human capacity to determine, as it is mathematical in determination.... How much volume is in the ice held above sea level - on land. Easy to do.

What to look for if that event is likely to happen - look for a rate of water flow caused by melting ice, as opposed to the replenishment rate.... Again easy to determine and calculate. Easy to do.... After the event has started to dribble (some evidence exists to indicate this has started to happen) on Greenland.

When is the "point of total melt unstoppable".... Only God knows, and we as humans may postulate that it is likely to completely melt and if it does so at the expectation that the rate of melt will be consistent, should take x years....

Some brave people have postulated that "...if the 'irreversible condition' is reached then it may take some 10 years from then, we guess...."

That is sufficient to make some plans to cover the "unknown" what if situations, and due diligence behoves us to consider that....

Denial is your business, don't expect religious conversion to that view...

You may postulate that an ice age is due..... So what.... What preparations do you consider appropriate for that prospect (based on repetitive history), but no other affirmative process? apart from some very selective temperature history. Lets see who is wrong/right?

3. Pericles

Pericles Senior Member

Masalai,

"Climate change" is now the preferred terminology rather than "Global Warming", because of the uncertainty as to what is happening.

The term "global warming" is a specific example of climate change, which can also refer to global cooling. In common usage, the term refers to recent warming and implies a human influence.[11] The United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC) uses the term "climate change" for human-caused change, and "climate variability" for other changes.[12] The term "anthropogenic global warming" is sometimes used when focusing on human-induced changes.

Attribution of recent climate change is the effort to scientifically ascertain mechanisms responsible for relatively recent changes observed in the Earth's climate. The effort has focused on changes observed during the period of instrumental temperature record, when records are most reliable; particularly on the last 50 years, when human activity has grown fastest and observations of the upper atmosphere have become available. (Wikipedia)

As I see it, people hold differing views on the subject, some almost as religiously as they believe their gods. As I am an atheist, I am not that connected to mass hysteria, so I tend to look for the hook inside the bait. Why are you so concerned as to where the water will rise?

As you pointed out, we can only wait and watch, however you should know that the conjecture during the 1970s of imminent cooling of the Earth's surface and atmosphere, could be brought to the fore again, if the sunspot activity does not pick up.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_cooling

You asked about preparations. With that in mind, here is a chance to take the bookies to the cleaners, big time! Place a bet for temperature drop, based on the information at

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dalton_Minimum

The odds you could get should be astronomical and assuming they are still in business when we have ice breakers up the River Thames, the money would pay for a pretty decent fortress somewhere warm, whilst the greens freeze their nuts off.:D :D :D :D :D :D

I'll be signing off now, I have to see William Hill about a small bet. :D

All the best,

Pericles

4. masalai

masalai masalai

Pericles,
    Am I going blind too, I cannot find where I mentioned the phrase "Climate Change" or "Global Warming", per se. - - Which May make me "off topic"... but then the content was addressing BOTH those implications - I think???????

5. Pericles

Pericles Senior Member

Mas,

Don't worry about that. Have you placed your bet yet? The odd are shortening as I type.

Pericles

6. masalai

masalai masalai

That is not bet-able - it is a foregone conclusion, I am actioning it, my interpretation, as the data supporting that position is more conservative & reliable.

My wife is taking the "tree-change" option above 150m and acreage.... Australia's landmass, as the oldest world surface is eroded and fairly barren. It is only on the coastal fringes where regular rains over the eons have encouraged a build-up of biomass, and to a lesser extent the old-growth forested areas.

7. artemis

artemis Steamboater

"What if" is a game for kings and philosophers. Since I am neither I'll just plod along and, when not in use, keep my boat near the front door (which is a little over 300' above the Columbia River). :p :D

8. masalai

masalai masalai

Ahhhh Arte, new waterfront residence, well selected.....:D and if "hell freezes over I hope a good supply of trees for firewood?

9. artemis

artemis Steamboater

Lots of trees, both evergreen and deciduous, and since the boat is steam powered and can burn wood... :D

10. masalai

masalai masalai

I see you are having an each way bet and will win either way!:D

11. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

Crude

An Inconvenient Truth", the climate change documentary that's been promoted by Nobel laureate Al Gore, has received mixed reviews from the global audience.

Regardless of whether or not you've seen the "Gore movie" or what you're already inclined to believe about oil and climate related issues, I highly recommend Crude: a new two-hour documentary that was aired earlier today on The History Channel. This is an unequivocally rave review. Crude scores 11 on a scale of 1 to 10.

I don't see anything new in terms of oil and climate related issues and concerns, but the program explains the science (much of it recent) behind terms like "peak oil", "greenhouse climate" and "global warming" in the most engaging way I've seen to date.

Cross reference this new posting:
    "CRUDE" oil, an absolute must see program !!!

12. safewalrus

safewalrus Ancient Marriner

Climate Change? sorry guys but in my limited experience the climate is changing every day - dry today, wet tomorrow, hot the day after, cold after that - the next couple of weeks are enough (to guess) for the moment never mind what might happen in 200 years time FFS!:eek:

1 person likes this.
  13. Richard Atkin

Richard Atkin atn_atkin@hotmail.com

People talk about climate change like it's something that will sneak up on us and we won't know what to do. All this scare-mongering is rediculous. Humans are adaptable, and we have LOADS of time to make more observations of the weather. "Act now before it's too late". Before what??? Before the world comes to an end? Yeah right. No-one is going to die as a direct result of global warming or cooling. If people die, it will be due to politics and economics which have been carefully calculated.

We have PLENTY of time to sit back and wait until we can see a clearer picture of the climate's trend. China is pumping greenhouse gases into the atmosphere....but it's also getting rich and that is good for the Chinese people. Maybe when they are rich enough to start cleaning up without crippling their prosperity, they will do so.

In my english class we were taught a well used technique in advertising and propoganda. "Get people to think they don't have time to think"

1 person likes this.
  14. safewalrus

safewalrus Ancient Marriner

Climate makes weather, weather makes climate they are interrelated! Agree with one thing tho' Dick the scare mongering is ridiculious, however thousands will die because of global warming / cooling don't know were don't know when but die they will!

So China is pumping greenhouse gases into the atmosphere and this is good for the Chinee because it is making some of them rich!! IN THE SHORT TERM! In the ling term this will no doubt kill them, no problem save the fact that it will probably kill us to! But this ain't nothing to do with climate change it's all to do with POLLUTION!

15. longliner45

longliner45 Senior Member

well my 2 cents ,,,,,I will simply ask a question,,,,why is mars getting hotter and loseing its polar caps also?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.