What Do We Think About Climate Change

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Pericles, Feb 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Knut Sand

Knut Sand Senior Member

Kinda like the wood grinders for the paper mill industry; does both grind and steam?

2. Boston

Boston Previous Member

on the seaweed I'm beginning to think you can just dry it
    mix it and add the enzymes at whatever the optimal temp is

I think
    but im still reading all I can find
    seems like when it gets dried the cell wall may be sufficiently disturbed ( kinda like a few people round here ) that it doesnt need the steam or the grind
    now that would be a plus eh

anyway I just offended the hell out of a friend of mine when we were watching the Adams family movie 2 and I chimed in with "hey check it out Joan Cusak looks like you Laura"
    I tried to save it with "but your much skinnier and not a ***** at all"
    didnt work
    ***** got pissed off

oh well
    B

3. Landlubber

Landlubber Senior Member

Boston, You win a few, you loose a few.

4. Boston

Boston Previous Member

yerp and you live to play again if your lucky

I found this while reading up on the various processes of fermentation
    seems like it might raise a few eyebrows round here
    now that will feed some flames eh Jim

by the way the article I got that from goes on to say

5. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

very interesting. I'm following your posts on this as it might open up to new ideas. Thanks Boston.

6. Boston

Boston Previous Member

you mean on what not to say to your girl or on the alcohol thing

7. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

I an interested in the distilling process and what comes out the other end.

8. Boston

Boston Previous Member

your on the, get the girl drunk plan then eh

I try and charm em

but whatever works for you brother

oh hey
    the big new secret to enzyme conversion is seedling protiens or something like that
    apparently nothing is better at converting those nasty cellulose bits to sugar than whats in the plants own seedlings
    if you crush some up and throw it in with the mash
    big increase in production

9. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

do you think fast growing bamboo would be an appropriate crop for this type is distlling??

10. Boston

Boston Previous Member

I think so
    switch grass is actually one of the best yield feedstocks there is
    so is cat tails
    both are in the same family of grasses as bambo If I remember
    so the same enzyme that is readily available for those would work
    thing about the celullosic process is that it doesnt require high sugar feed stocks so all you need any old plant mater for which effective enzymes can be found and reproduced em mass
    reason I picked seaweed is its free and abundant just about everywhere
    so I thought I'd try and bring the pieces together on it and see were it leads
    I found a professor who studied stomach enzymes of sea Urchins which eat Kelp
    and am waiting to find out if he ever developed a method to artificially reproduce them
    no seadling extract to help me though with kelp as they reproduce kinda like ferns
    now on the bambo you may have that seeds thing working in your favor
    its a grass so its got seeds
    seeds that come with the plant if you harvest it at the right time
    just crush em and leave em in and you should get some pretty high yields
    my theory is that, thats why cat tails work so well, is that they are seed rich at the time of harvesting
    thing is you gotta grow the bambo or cat tails or what not and then harvest it
    energy energy energy
    you dont have that with the seaweed
    course you dont get seeds either
    but its worth a little research
    who knows
    might work

hey go check out my post # 46 in the superconductors thread guys and let me know what you think
    its one of my crazier ideas ( unless your talking to Jim and then it would be second to this whole co2 thing )

11. Boston

Boston Previous Member

dam I just hate to throw an old wrench into the works but this just in

now is anyone else curious as to what the petrochemical industry people are seeing in the data that no one else is seeing
    hmmmm
    kinda makes me wonder if they arent feeling a little heat to throw doubt into an otherwise doubtless consensus

12. Knut Sand

Knut Sand Senior Member

Last edited: Jan 21, 2009
  13. mark775

mark775 Guest

"...the petroleum geologists were among the biggest doubters."
    More than likely, the petroleum geologists are actually scientists. Jeez, some people are just gullable. Hope and change.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 21, 2009
  14. Jimbo1490

Jimbo1490 Senior Member

Spencer and Christy are not petroleum industry scientists. Instead, they are the men who deduced how to extract atmospheric temperature data from satellites during their work at NASA. Meanwhile, Dr. Hansen's contribution to climatology is a series of failed doomsday predictions over a 20 year period. Of course the satellite data has been for the most part at sharp odds with Dr. Hansen's predictions, which had to have made for a very 'interesting' work climate during the years Spencer and Christy were employed there. We know that this was the case since Spencer posted this on his website:

Roy Spencer posted on his website Jun3, 2008:

A NOTE ON NASA'S JAMES HANSEN BEING MUZZLED BY NASA

I see that we are once again having to hear how NASA's James Hansen was dissuaded from talking to the press on a few of the 1,400 media interviews he was involved in over the years.

Well, I had the same pressure as a NASA employee during the Clinton-Gore years, because NASA management and the Clinton/Gore administration knew that I was skeptical that mankind's CO2 emissions were the main cause of global warming. I was even told not to give my views during congressional testimony, and so I purposely dodged a question, under oath, when it arose.

But I didn't complain about it like Hansen has. NASA is an executive branch agency and the President was, ultimately, my boss (and is, ultimately, Hansen's boss). So, because of the restrictions on what I could and couldn't do or say, I finally just resigned from NASA and went to work for the university here in Huntsville. There were no hard feelings, and I'm still active in a NASA satellite mission and fully supportive of its Earth observation programs.

In stark contrast, Jim Hansen said whatever he wanted, whenever he wanted to the press and congress during that time. He even campaigned for John Kerry, and received a $250,000 award from Theresa Heinz-Kerry's charitable foundation -- two events he maintains are unrelated. If I had done anything like this when I worked at NASA, I would have been crucified under the Hatch Act.

Does anyone besides me see a double standard here?

-Roy W. Spencer

The University of Alabama in Huntsville

Let's not forget the additional $720,000 from George Soros, either. We wouldn't want poor Dr. Jimmy to have to launch a "Media Campaign" without proper backing, now would we:p

Now everyone reading this thread knows or should know by now that virtually all the doomsday warming predictions are based not on data from satellite or radiosondes lofted on balloons, but on the surface measurement system. Am I the only person in the room that finds it not a little odd that the chief climatologist at NASA, the National aeronautics and SPACE Administration, places so much emphasis on such measurements rather than data from those electronic thingies NASA et al launched into space?

Jimbo

15. mark775

mark775 Guest

Go to Iowahawk´s blog and look at the mess at the Washington Mall. That is who we are debating...

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.