what did i get

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by sam1234, Jan 11, 2007.

1. sam1234

sam1234 Junior Member

Bonjour just get a boat i whant to no what model is it and year can you help me the only info that i have is that its a Peterborough
    open deck 17` whit a jonhson 85 force the old lady that sold it told me that the boat is a 1976/78 +or- thats all i know

Attached Files:

2. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

Well, looks like you pretty much answered your own question.
    As for the year, does it have a HIN code? This will be inscribed on the upper starboard corner of the transom. On a Peterborough it will start with the letters ZHW. This is followed by a string of numbers indicating the model, serial number, and date of production (the last two digits usually indicate the year). The Johnson motor's model and serial numbers should be engraved on a plate affixed to its mounting bracket.

3. sam1234

sam1234 Junior Member

Thank-you Matt i fund paper of the boat it a 1976 montréal olympique edition and the motor that came whit it is a jonson javelin edition 85 the only question know is how do we call a boat that is under look is like a (W) is that a ski and fish boats or? thank Hey sorry for my english im french from quebec

4. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

The hull of your boat goes by several names. Some call it a "gull-wing", others call it a "cathedral" form. It was a popular shape for small runabouts in that era but is not as common today. Expect a reasonably nice ride until the waves get to be bigger than the tunnels between the sponsons, at which point things might get a bit uncomfortable. They are popular cottage runabouts for rivers and small lakes, but are not coastal or Great Lakes boats.

5. sam1234

sam1234 Junior Member

cool Matt i will use this boat in Chateauguay river its nice place no waves good fish i think that will be a good boat for me and kids on week end I live just next to river an a nice marina over there that chateauguay river gos to st-laurence river 1/2hr from montreal island

6. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

The cathedral or "tri-hull" designs are pretty soft riding in a reasonably low sea state. They are also fairly "draggy" and don't turn as well, particularly at high speed as more conventional hull forms. That boat is a "bow rider" which typically has a walk through windscreen (center section folds to one side) and a small seating area forward of the helm (steering station). These were produced in abundance in the late 60's through the 80's, until better hull shapes caught on and removed it from the ranks. Fishing, skiing, tubing, bar hopping or just about what ever you need a boat to do, these have been at it for a couple of generations. Enjoy, it's fun family boat.

7. sam1234

sam1234 Junior Member

hi here my boat vin # ZCB27618M776 just want to get that boat is original color cant find any info or picture of it help

8. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

ZCB was the MIC (manufacturer identification code) for Produits Nautiques Alcan, the marine division of Alcan Aluminum; this MIC was used from 1974 to 1985. Aluminum hulled Springboks, Princecrafts and Peterboroughs might have this designation, and I believe they did do some fibreglass there as well. Most Canadian builders have MICs in the range Z**, and ZZZ is used for single-vessel plates (homebuilt or unknown builder) in Canada.
    You can look up MIC codes (the MIC is the first 3 letters of the HIN) from the USCG at http://www.uscgboating.org/recalls/mic_database.htm

9. relic

relic Junior Member

hi there ,, related question,, i have a 16ft bowrider with the hin starting with
    ZAG, which i thought was produits de nautiques alcan,, but above you mention ZCB

[​IMG]

anyone familiar with this boat?

10. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

Hey relic,
    The code "ZAG" also goes with Produits Nautiques Alcan, it refers to boats built at their Princeville, Quebec plant from 1975-1994. Your boat appears to have been repainted, but it certainly looks like one of theirs. Yours probably wore either the Springbok or the Princecraft logo when it was first launched.

11. relic

relic Junior Member

Thanks Marshmat...