What design software to use

Discussion in 'Software' started by Paul Bakker, Sep 2, 2002.

1. Paul Bakker

Paul Bakker New Member

Hey,

I am an absolute beginner in yacht design and I am trying to make up my mind about which software I should use.

I would appreciate it a lot if some of you more experienced yacht designers could give me a helping hand and tell me what to use and why.

Most of the software is pretty expensive and I don't want to purchase the wrong software . . .

Any help would be welcome !

Kind regards,

Paul Bakker

2. Jeff

Jeff Moderator

Hi Paul,

First, welcome to our forums!

As to your question, my first recommendation (if you haven't done so already) is to visit the web sites of each and every one of the programs on our list at http://boatdesign.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=82 and download or request a demo for each one as well as a current price quote and then spend a couple evenings creating a quick model in each one or just get a feel for working on one of the models which is included in the demo. Since you will be making a long term decision, it will be worth it to get a hands-on look at each of the demos - a lot of the decision depends on the way you work and how your style of designing meshes with the way the software is designed. Many people like AutoShip, ProSurf, Prolines, and MaxSurf. Others here like MultiSurf, and lots of people are starting to use Rhino either as a stand-alone or in conjunction with one of the others because it is an all-around modeler at a very low price. And I don’t mean to exclude the others on the list like FastShip or DefCar – they just have a more specific market because of their cost and focus.

What types of boats will you be designing? Will you have the budget or need for plugins down the road? Do you have existing CAD programs you want to interface with? You’ll also find a number of old threads talking about various software programs and they’re as relevant now as when they were posted so have a look, try the demos, and then come back with your concerns and reactions if you need more feedback on which one is right for you.

Again, welcome to the forums.

3. DavidG

DavidG Junior Member

Maybe starting with traditional methods such as splines and weights would be a good starting point, before considering software, this would give you a better idea of what your needs from the software are.

The difficulty of trying demo's is that without good instruction you may not have a clue with what is going on!

All of the programmes work on much the same basis i.e. b-splines, a lot of expense is in getting extra "surfaces", however one surface might be enough to start with.

An important consideration might be whether you hope to work in the yacht design industry, in which case you ought to go for an industry standard (see poll)

DavidG

4. Jeff

Jeff Moderator

Very good point.

Not aimed directly at any software on the list, in general I often find the programs which try to make it so easy to get started are a nightmare later on when you need to do something outside the box the programmer was thinking of. Other times, programs which are intuitive to start just get better with time. DavidG is right - don't jump into anything too quickly based on a first impression alone, but certiainly don't pick your path before you've tried everything available within reason. And it will give you a beter idea about what the future holds if you have an idea of what's available and how one program might take one path and another might do it a little differently. I want to give FormZ a try sometime, not that I'll be using it on a daily basis, but I am curious what's available.

5. Timm

Timm Senior Member

I'd agree about starting out by hand without any programs. I think you will develop a better understanding of the lines fairing process after a few hours of walking around your board, squinting down the length of the line and looking for problems. Spline weights aren't all that cheap anymore, but maybe someone will lend you theirs or maybe sell you some they aren't using. After 15+ years, I am still designing hulls by hand, I then transfer the offsets into my CAD program (Ashlar-Vellem Graphite), and produce the final faired lines and all the other drawings for the boat. I have been playing with some of the demos of late and will probably buy one, but none seem to be as easy as my current method. The real advantage is the ability to unwrap panels and the ability to run hydrostatics quickly and easily.

6. duluthboats

duluthboats Senior Dreamer

:idea:
    Something that is starting to sink in to my thick scull is that we all process information differently. A CAD system that is easy for me may not be easy for another. So if you’re looking for CAD software, make a list of the ones that meet your needs and try them out. One will fit you better than the rest. Don’t buy it because it fits someone else. Am I making any sense here?
    Gary

7. Davor

Davor Naval Arch.

Sea-Power for resistance and propellers

For resistance and propellers wisit my web site
    www.sea-power.net

rgds

Davor

8. MikeJohns

MikeJohns Senior Member

I would recommend starting with Rhinocerous. Avoid the yacht hull design programs like the plauge. Rhino is close enough to the hand and paper method moved up into the computer age. Rhino has some basic hydrostatics which are invaluable. There are some brilliant plugins from 3rd party vendors too. All in all a very good place to start.

9. ErikG

ErikG Senior Member

Why avoiding dedicated programs?
    Sure they are expensive so they are clearly not for everyone.

I'd say, Rhino and start out with the free version of MaxSurf. Only three surfaces allowed so a little cumbersome to do powerboats with chines and stuff, but more than ok for hull design for sailboats. Then export as IGES to Rhino and complete it there. If you are a student the price on Rhino is good to.

10. sorenfdk

sorenfdk Yacht Designer

Yes, indeed - why avoid yacht hull design programs like the plague? Please do tell!
    There are even free ones out there (Hullform, PolyCad).

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.