What could be done with an enclosed lifeboat?

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by AskingAboutLifeboat, Dec 25, 2019.

Tags:
  1. daniTS

daniTS Junior Member

Thanks! She is a next level disaster inside at the moment--it's not even so much that I don't mind showing her as that it's hard to see what's going on at this point. With the caveat nothing is approaching done, though:
    [​IMG]
    This is the raised steering station (has since been grouted with flexible grout). The captain's chair goes on here, and once it's built in, instrumentation, etc. to follow. Under is our electrical 'room' and beyond/behind is the head. This is all in the raised 'bubble' towards the aft of the boat.
    [​IMG]
    Behind the steering station into the head--this is the shower with a small seat and then tool storage behind (accessed from the entry 'hallway')
    [​IMG]
    This image is standing further forward and looking back towards the steering station.
    [​IMG]
    Looking towards the bow--at the very front is our anchor locker, then cabin (we camped a couple of times, but the mattress is back out of there now). It's roughly a queen size (athwartships) and clothing storage will be in the area between the port hull and end of bed. The backer board with the black lines on it will eventually have tile + a metal guard and then a cubic mini wood stove, and then to the right there's a seating area converting to a twin sized guest berth. If the seat looks deep it's because it is--my husband is 6'5" and that's very much his side!

Galley runs most of the way down the port side--I love to cook and one of the many reasons we are building from the hull up is to have a 30' boat with 11-13' of counter/galley space.

You certainly need a lot of imagination at this point, but gives you a tiny idea!
    [​IMG]
    This is what she looked like when we bought her--we filled in the side walls, half with walls and half with the large windows on each side, removed the tanks (in the foreground), etc. etc. Not sure if we're allowed to share links here but we have instagram and youtube (both Living on a Lifeboat) if anyone is curious.

Finally, I can't remember if I said this way back when I first posted, but our eventual plan for this boat is to ship her to Europe to cruise the canals there so some of our design decisions definitely reflect that...

David Paterson likes this.
  2. David Paterson

David Paterson Junior Member

The race is on. 2022 Boating Season is approaching fast! Let's hope the winter ends early enough for a splashdown in April for me.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

daniTS likes this.
  3. DouglasM

DouglasM Junior Member

Great progress Dave! I cracked open my first cans of resin and hardner and have begun glassing the anchor well and the mount for the generator. Area has been prepped, will post finished pad shortly.
    B060D1B5-E5C9-40D1-8474-008594C56802.jpeg

daniTS and David Paterson like this.
  4. daniTS

daniTS Junior Member

Looks good! Do you have enough hatches in there for what you want or are you going to add more?

5. daniTS

daniTS Junior Member

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but how's everyone's build been doing over the last year or so? I'm not sure where we were last time I posted but we've gotten fairly close to finishing our exterior and our electric motor now turns on, which is an exciting development! (That said it's temporarily wired in, so that little photo is not how the system will actually look!)

Still working on electrical and then plumbing before insulation, etc. Seems a mile away to any fun interior stuff, but we are about to install some tiles for our fireplace this weekend and I'm very excited about that!

Hope you've all had a productive several months of building!

Screen Shot 2022-12-15 at 12.16.02 AM.png Screen Shot 2022-12-15 at 12.35.25 AM.png Screen Shot 2022-12-15 at 12.35.52 AM.png Screen Shot 2022-12-15 at 12.37.04 AM.png

6. BlueBell

BlueBell . . . _ _ _ . . . _ _ _

Dani,

Are you at Van Isle?

7. daniTS

daniTS Junior Member

We were for our various haul outs and time on the hard but we aren't there now that we're in the water. Still in that area though :)

BlueBell likes this.
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.