Carolina CC, jig or plank-on-frame

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by gillamr, Dec 31, 2008.

1. gillamr

gillamr New Member

Hi,
    I am currently trying to decide between attempting to build a jig boat or plank on frame.
    -Does anybody have any ballpark #'s on how much a 24 ft boat weigh and what would be the power rating for either type?
    -One other (dumb) question, what kind of stock is used for the frames and how are they cut, particularly the curved pieces? I understand that with a jig boat, the jig is cut on a NC router. Is the same done with the heavier frames in a plank-on-frame boat? It seems the frames are typically covered w/strips of cedar then a layer of ply, then epoxy/cloth.
    -which is easier to build?
    thanks to any who reply

2. keesdisease

keesdisease New Member

boat building process??

carolina plank on frame boats are made laying out the keel and placing the ribs by eye, I imagine by now you could probably get someone to CNC the ribs for you as they are used the same one a jig is used on a cold molded boat. A cold mold boat is done upside down using plywood or similar material as the jig typically cut on a CNC. I am currently building a 29' I bought already under progress and have owned a larger cold molded boat for years. Cold mold seems to be lighter and does not have the print thru issues as a plank on frame. Stringers are typically made of douglas fir, juniper mahogany. nobiggie really as it gets encapsulated anyway. Easier to build I would say would be coldmold if you have to lay out the lines yourself, if you go over to sportfishermandotcom under rebuilds you will see a sullivan plank on frame in progress and you will see the layout by eye method, he does a great job but laying it all out has been what he has done for years

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.